Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, im a newcomer to this site, and a newcomer to DIY in the most part.....and ive just aquired a flat in need of a lot of work!

Its part of a converted victorian building (God only knows when this conversion took place!) which consists of a shop unit on the ground floor, a flat on the first floor and my flat (well "ours" if the lady happens to be reading this!) on the second floor.....

simple enough so far.....

The flat (and the rest of the building) has the original sliding sash windows, which while nice to look at, are bloody freezing!! and some have their fair share of rot :(

A couple of things had to be sorted out straight away, such as:

Taking 6 trailer loads of junk, rubbish, carpets etc to the local dump,

sorting out the bedroom window - previous occupant had sealed the window to the frame with silicone, which while helping to combat the cold, also meant the window wouldnt open, which i wasnt too keen on.......

Binning the cooker that the owner left behind - one of those stand free electric oven / hob combo jobbies......only not being satisfied with electric, he had removed one of the hob rings, and installed a gas ring.....with a big rubber pipe sticking out the side of the cooker heading down to a gas cylinder.......very safe i thought :rolleyes:

so after getting the flat stripped to the floorboards and bare walls, its time to start painting ceilings and walls, (I prefer paint to paper) and sand all the floors bar the bathroom and kitchen....

The original floorboards are in (remarkably) excellent condition so ive deceided to sand and varnish them, save a few quid that way......

at present the flat has a colour scheme that could only be described as interesting, with green, blue, red, custard and rhubarb coloured doors, walls and skirting boards......

oh and for some reason an extractor fan has been installed in the living room :confused: , and we still havent found the electricity meter :eek: its not anywhere near the switchboard anyway (which will need boxed up, its a bit unsightly sitting exposed)

so, sorry to bore you with the above, and any hints or ideas would be appreciated as im new to all this!

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the forum but what is it you wanted to know? :)

Well i was just saying hello! in a sort of long winded way!! lol :D

before you start decorating or floor finishing, get an electrician to check the wiring and consumer unit. we generally use far more electrical appliances nowadays and if you need new sockets; rewire etc... it is best to get it sorted before you paint.

Sponsored Links
Decide where the speakers are going to go for your surround sound system and channel the cables into the walls. This way you will find it easier to persuade the boss that surround sound is a good idea, as you won't have dangling cables everywhere.

Being a bachelor I have no problems with this but a friend of mine has missed out on a decent system as his better half has already planned the living room and speakers are not allowed. :rolleyes:

I rather got the feeling that his question was....'What the hell have I bought!'

I enjoyed the read, good look with the work mate. Work-mate? is that a DIY funny? ok, maybe not. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back