newboy with some questions.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all. Quick intro: I'm a new domestic installer who has been doing minor and non notifiable works whilst still working in my other job. I know its but the first rung and do not claim to be a fully qualified sparks so please be gentle. At present I am not part of a competent persons scheme as i have not done any work to warrant assessment ( and 90% of calls have been non notifiable and fault finding). However I've been asked to do some work that involves new circuits, and lighting in special locations etc, so now is probably the time to take the work and get assessed ( whilst hopefully passing some of the labc fee on to the client). Has anyone gone down this route recently. What did it involve. By that I mean, once the la has come out to assess work before commencement, would i do a pir on the property (of course i know i should) before commencing even though i'm not really legally permitted? Then on completion, would i also be submitting pirs, eic, test results, schedule of inspections to labc for assessment. I have tried speaking to them on the phone but the person on the other end knew less than I.
Any advice really appreciated.
Fried

Sponsored Links
Why not speak to one of the competent persons schemes, they will be better placed to advise what they require to register you for self certification. You could take one of those 3day courses like most kitchen fitters :rolleyes:

You do not have to be anything to do a PIR (even though i might think that you should have 2391).

The LA will not be interested in a inspection report - only the work that you carry out.

To add new circuits you dont need to do a PIR unless you are changing the consumer unit.

You do need to check a few important things, including:
Check all bonding is in place and up to regs
Check the supply and the installation is capable of taking the additional loads.

thanks guys

if I am however adding to existing lighting circuits, adding spurs etc I'm going to be testing these circuits before and after. So the la is going to be interested in seeing these, no?
Also by doing these works what am i taking responsibility for? only the circuits I've worked on/ added?

Sponsored Links
Hi Fried

LA is only going to be interested in notifiable stuff (eg new circuits, fuse boards, work in kitchens/bathrooms). However, you should probably make some enquiries posing as a home owner as my LA doesn't have a route for notifying work (their response is - get a registered sparks!).

If you are starting to do more of this type of work, might be worth joining one of the schemes - to make life easier/cheaper in the long run.

Good luck
SB

This reads as though you might be thinking that LABCs do the assessments for Competent Person status:

At present I am not part of a competent persons scheme as i have not done any work to warrant assessment ( and 90% of calls have been non notifiable and fault finding). However I've been asked to do some work that involves new circuits, and lighting in special locations etc, so now is probably the time to take the work and get assessed ( whilst hopefully passing some of the labc fee on to the client). Has anyone gone down this route recently. What did it involve. By that I mean, once the la has come out to assess work before commencement, would i do a pir on the property (of course i know i should) before commencing even though i'm not really legally permitted? Then on completion, would i also be submitting pirs, eic, test results, schedule of inspections to labc for assessment.

They don't.

Hi ban all sheds

no I know the labc dont carry out the competent persons assessment. sorry - my poor teminology. I'll probably go with elecsa. But i mean the labc will look at the work that i propose to do before and after, but again if I'm working a the board and adding circuits and adding to existing circcuits ( spurs/ lighting points) would you guys test these first? obviously these works warrant EIC's - are the la not interested in the results?
thnx

In order to carry out a PIR you need to have a sound technical knowledge and experience in the type of system being worked on to enable it to be done safely. You should also be fully versed in the I&T techniques.

fried

I suggest that you should be carrying out testing and filling in the certs for your own peace of mind anyway.

SB

the labc will look at the work that i propose to do before and after,
If they are very good they'll come at 1st fix for a shufti.

but again if I'm working a the board and adding circuits and adding to existing circcuits ( spurs/ lighting points) would you guys test these first?
It's best.

obviously these works warrant EIC's - are the la not interested in the results?
thnx
Only if they think you are competent to issue them, and they can take the results, and their fee, and do nothing themselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back