Newel post through the floor? - Can I make this less ugly!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Can anyone advise me why the builders chose to sink the landing newel post (apparently) right through the floor and intruding into the downstairs cloakroom?
It seems unnecessary to me and has always been an eyesore!

I'm now looking at replacing the whole balustrade with something more modern... currently leaning towards glass/stainless steel... and I wanted to take the opportunity to tidy up this ugliness.
I'd dearly love to remove the whole thing downstairs - just cut it out and make good - but I'm fearful of everything collapsing around me or the new replacement newel post coming down through!

Any thoughts, anyone?

/S

Attachments

• IMG_20221008_182005.jpg
    IMG_20221008_182005.jpg
    272 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20221008_181342.jpg
    IMG_20221008_181342.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 33
Sponsored Links
The newel post will probably be joined to the stringer with a mortise and tenon joint and tonthe floor joist with screws or bolts which means that if you cut into it you risk weakening the joints which hold the top of the staircase together. Your call, but personally I would leave it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back