Newer 6.3kw DFE fire, can I now block the old air vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking for some expert opinions on removal of a room-level air vent I had put in to serve an old DFE fire, but the fire was replaced a while ago and the docs suggest the vent is not required.

A little history first, sorry for the length; when we bought the house there was a DFE fire in an iron fire surround which to our knowledge was put in by the previous owners 5 years prior. The burner had no service tags, identification, branding - nothing distinguishing, so assume it came with the fireplace, so had no idea of what input rating it was or the specs, etc.

At the time we had BG heating cover and I had them take a look about a year later when they were "servicing" the boiler, at which point the BG engineer, through sucking teeth and shaking his head, proceeded to put an "at risk" tag on the fire, explaining there was not enough adequate ventilation - this was fair enough, as I didn't know how powerful it was so better to be safe.

So I had a brick-sized vent put in nearby to be sure. After a while the old fire started cutting out, being difficult to keep running. I figured it was getting old and unreliable and rather than try fixing it I decided to replace it with a newer fire - the fireplace surround is quite a small area, and the Mrs did not want to replace the surround and loves the decorative flame; despite being inefficient which I know.

So I had to find a burner tray that had the right height, size, shape etc.
I ended up getting a NuFlame N1 burner, as they did a tray shape that fit perfectly, and it's been installed and running for the past 2 years no problem.

I recently re-read the documentation and noticed that it is not a requirement to have additional ventilation, according to page 3 of the manufacturers documentation...

http://www.nu-flame.co.uk/products/The_Evolution_Burner/
http://www.nu-flame.co.uk/downloads/EvolutionInstructions_July06.pdf

In addition, the house is 1930's house and very drafty and the old fire worked fine without ventilation.

So, my question is, can I now block this massive hole in the side of my house which causes more drafts into the living room than I feel it's worth?

Sponsored Links
Sorry if I seem a little cautious!

Its normal for a gas appliance to be installed by a qualified person !

You dont say who fitted it ! If it was a qualified person then I would have expected those questions would have been addressed to him !

Part of the process of fitting a fire is to test the flue and then that the fire operates safely.

Any change to ventillation will need the safety aspects to be retested before anyone can conclude that its safe.

Manufacturer's instructions are based on a qualified person being involved at all stages !

Its recommended that gas appliances are serviced and checked for safety every year. Thats particularly important for a DFE because their flame produces CO and that must be safely evacuated up the flue.

Tony

read the fires mi's it will explain in there regarding the appliances ventilation requirements

but as tony suggests maybe worth while getting a rgi to cast his eye over the installation just to be totally at ease

I would not be at ease unless it was tested by an RGI !

Furthermore if the poster does that work as a DIY job then its not only illegal ( gas work he is not qualified to do ) but potentially dangerous to his Mrs who likes orange flames producing carbon monoxide!

Tony

Sponsored Links
point g in the important notes you have attached, clearly say 50cm2 permanent ventilation is required,
get an RGI to check/confirm that everything is safe
what price your family's safety??

Woah there! First of all, you are all way too assuming, and my fault for not being detailed enough.

1. Gas fire was installed by an RGI.
2. I did not think to ask him if I could block the vent because it wasn't the freezing depths of winter
3. I took the docs to mean the 50cm2 ventilation is describing the fire grate/grill requirement, the "bit in front of the burner" - from my understanding?

I hold my hands up for being naive enough to post on a DIY forum when I didn't DIY this job, wish I hadn't asked this now. :rolleyes:

we sometimes moan a bit when we give advice, but in most cases we are genuinely concerned that someone does something to endanger their family so we will all calm down :LOL: :LOL:

I'm sorry for being touchy actually, I perhaps should not have been so vague, but just seemed like a barrage of negativity and I thought I was asking a perfectly reasonable question given the facts I have about the device.

Anyway, I am naughty in that I haven't had it serviced, so to answer my own question I'll get an engineer round to service it before the winter comes and ask him about it.

Part of the process of fitting a fire is to test the flue and then that the fire operates safely.

Any change to ventillation will need the safety aspects to be retested before anyone can conclude that its safe.

Manufacturer's instructions are based on a qualified person being involved at all stages !

Its recommended that gas appliances are serviced and checked for safety every year. Thats particularly important for a DFE because their flame produces CO and that must be safely evacuated up the flue.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back