Newly fitted PRV and stop cock ball valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Just replaced my old stopcock as it was seized so I took the opportunity to fit a PRV as well as our water pressure seemed excessive and our taps were very noisy and had slight banging of pipes.

Install went ok. Honeywell PRV was preset to 3 bar out of the box. Pressure seemed a bit better and no banging of pipes. I tried adjusting it to 2 bar and when I did the valve meter started quickly pulsating. I readjusted back to 3 bar and all is ok.

Why did it pulsate when I tried to reduce it further?

Cheers guys.

Attachments

• IMG_20180128_143436.jpg
    IMG_20180128_143436.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 208
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Other than the ptfe the pipeworka very good for a diyer. Most would have used pushfit bends.

Re belt and braces. The thread only holds the nut and doesn’t seal so no need for it but if it makes you happy who am I to judge.

Back to your OP. you mean the pressure gauge was bouncing?
While running a tap or afterwards and how long for?

Other than the ptfe the pipeworka very good for a diyer. Most would have used pushfit bends.
Cheers Phill, I always try to use copper wherever possible.

Back to your OP. you mean the pressure gauge was bouncing?
While running a tap or afterwards and how long for?
It was bouncing when running hot or cold. The only way to stop it bouncing was to turn up the pressure whilst it was running then it would settle down. It's on 3 bar now and seems ok. I could get away with lowering it slightly more but I get the bouncing guage again.

Cheers.

Do you know what the incoming pressure is? If it's very high, it's usually recommended to step down the pressure in increments. Not sure if that's the cause, just a suggestion.

Do you know what the incoming pressure is? If it's very high, it's usually recommended to step down the pressure in increments. Not sure if that's the cause, just a suggestion.
Hi fezster, don't know what it was before as I didn't have any way to measure it. On the PRV I can wind it up to 6 bar, so it's at least that or more! It's on 3 bar now but there's still scope to lower it further, but I keep getting the pulsating water with the guage bouncing.

Have adjusted some prv's (different make to yours) and to adjust the pressure it was required to turn off the water and open a tap to relieve pressure inside the valve..

Then adjust (trial & error) put water back on and check gauge,had to do it several times to get the required pressure (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back