Leak from PRV only when boiler is firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vitodens 222F boiler and it leaks from the PRV, not all the time, but only when the boiler is firing.

My first attempt to fix this was to replace the PRV, which I have done twice now. This has not helped. I have also tested the PRVs that I removed and they don't leak when connected directly to the mains.

My next thought was that mixer taps were perhaps leaking from cold to hot at a pressure higher than 3 bar. To rule this out I fitted a pressure reducing valve after the mains stopcock and set it first to 3 bar and then to 2.5 bar. This did not help either.

Finally I added an extra expansion vessel to be certain that there was enough expansion capacity (I do have 100m2 of UFH). I also checked that the expansion vessels in the boiler for CH and DHW were charged correctly. Again this didn't help.

When the boiler fires and the PRV leaks, it is not a huge amount, just a slow drip. When this is happening the CH pressure dial on the boiler is showing about 1.5 bar.

Does anyone have any idea what might be going wrong?

Sponsored Links
Have you checked that the gauge is reading correctly? It does point towards the pressure in the CH system is lifting the valve when it's heating up/hot/expanding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back