Newly installed combi boiler causing pipe leaks

Sponsored Links
OK, I'm not a Plumber so have no interest in talking the job up.

Firstly I can understand your suspicions about whether a pressure test was carried out, but you state you are an Engineer and must be aware of situations where an item has been tested / used to it's limit without failure, but on a subsequent occasion fails. It's annoying and inconvenient but it's just coincidence.

And even if the pressure test had highlighted a leak, you can't just go back to a low pressure system. Whilst it might 'work', it would still be leaking, and would still need fixing.

And it still wouldn't be the installers fault.

Did they power flush the system after the pressure test and before commisioning the new boiler?

to summise this thread is about a tightarse who doesn't want to pay and will weasel any which way he can.

I hope the bloke you're trying to fleece chins you. :evil:

:D :D

Absolutely priceless Transam, thanks a lot mate. :LOL:

If I needed someone to sum up my earlier views about the 'professional' attitude of the average tradesmen you did it perfectly for me, and on a public forum. If you want to make more of this, I'll be happy to hear.

I couldn't have made it up until a clown like you came along.

Read the whole of the thread and you will see I was trying to check if correct proecures had been followed, is that a bit too difficult for you to follow?

Sponsored Links
I have been watching this topic with interest and have now decided to go to a reputable company for my new boiler, and pay the higher price, rather suffer in the hands of the numerous cowboys (some of which seem to have made comments on this forum!).

The industry should be strictly regulated to protect consumers.

After all would you buy a car and not take it back when the door feel off 100 yards down the road - no, I think not.

I dont think that you can have read and understood all this thread!

Fitting a new engine in your car last week and this week the back door falls off is presumably the fault of the installer of the new engine?

The reality is that customers choose not to listen to any warnings about the condition of their system and even AVOID those installers who take the trouble to point out the risks!

The reality is that even if a test is made on the brakes of your car today then they could fail mext week when you are going downhill because a hose bursts, or cylinder seal or a lining becomes detached.

A test today is just a test TODAY and means nothing in the future. heating pipes are subjected to thermal stress as they expand and contract perhaps 40-50 times a day. Eventually any joint can fail. That most often happens when embedded in concrete without protection as the concrete holds the pipe restrained and so creates stresses in the joints.

Tony

Well after 7 pages I cant resist adding my 2p.

To sum up OP, if the test had been run and your pipes had leaked, you say you may not have changed the boiler but instead spent the money fixing your leaks. Is that your stance, in a simple nutshell? Yes or no will suffice, to help us understand.

peace

To sum up OP, if the test had been run and your pipes had leaked, you say you may not have changed the boiler but instead spent the money fixing your leaks. Is that your stance, in a simple nutshell? Yes or no will suffice, to help us understand.

peace

I think I covered this before, but here's the answer again:

If the test had been performed, and the pipes were not found to be suitable, then I would have had the option of:

a) Getting my exisiting boiler repaired (which otherwise worked OK with the existing pipes),

b) Getting a replacement gravity-fed system if the costs of repair were not economically jusitied (for the same reason as a),

c) If the cost benefits of the combi justified the replacement of the pipes, then go with the combi.

Because no test was performed (which I have subsequently found to be the case) then I had only the 3rd option, which meant I had no choice but to make a further large financial outlay.

Seems it would have been better for both me and the fitter if the test had been performed in advance (which I know for a fact is performed by some installers) to have avoided all of the ensuing aggravation.

brickwall.gif

As we've said time and time over, a) and b) would never have been an option, as once you open up a leak with pressure testing, going back to gravity wont do anything to seal it.

peace

I think I covered this before, but here's the answer again:

If the test had been performed, and the pipes were not found to be suitable, then I would have had the option of:

a) Getting my exisiting boiler repaired (which otherwise worked OK with the existing pipes),

b) Getting a replacement gravity-fed system if the costs of repair were not economically jusitied (for the same reason as a),

c) If the cost benefits of the combi justified the replacement of the pipes, then go with the combi.

Because no test was performed (which I have subsequently found to be the case) then I had only the 3rd option, which meant I had no choice but to make a further large financial outlay.

Seems it would have been better for both me and the fitter if the test had been performed in advance (which I know for a fact is performed by some installers) to have avoided all of the ensuing aggravation.

No, your options would have been

a) Getting your exisiting boiler repaired (which otherwise worked OK with the existing pipes) AND getting any leaks fixed

b) Getting a replacement gravity-fed system if the costs of repair were not economically jusitied (for the same reason as a) AND getting any leaks fixed

c) If the cost benefits of the combi justified the replacement of the pipes, then go with the combi AND getting any leaks fixed

The cost to you would have been determined still by your choice of boiler, except that you would still have to fix the leaks.

Just a few questions,

1) Are you still suffering with a leak or has it been repaired.
2) Did you request a new boiler be installed.
3) Did you request a combination boiler be installed.

I have been watching this topic , The industry should be strictly regulated to protect consumers.

No. 1 Cowboy agrees with you 100% on that statement :mrgreen: Might just be wort going back to work then ;)

to summise this thread is about a tightarse who doesn't want to pay and will weasel any which way he can.

I hope the bloke you're trying to fleece chins you. :evil:

:D :D

Absolutely priceless Transam, thanks a lot mate. :LOL:

If I needed someone to sum up my earlier views about the 'professional' attitude of the average tradesmen you did it perfectly for me, and on a public forum. If you want to make more of this, I'll be happy to hear.

I couldn't have made it up until a clown like you came along.

Read the whole of the thread and you will see I was trying to check if correct proecures had been followed, is that a bit too difficult for you to follow?

Bit harsh ?? what I say :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back