Newly seeded lawn very yellow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

With much help and advice from this forum, I seeded my first lawn in late September. Its taken really well and I gave it what I expected to be its only mow of the year in early November. Given the warm weather however, it continued to grow, so I mowed again in late November on the highest setting - i.e. leaving the lawn as long as I could, but still took quite a bit off given how much it had grown (to the point that I was worried it may have been too much) which I believe can be a cause of yellowing.

Initially it didn't seem to have caused a problem, but in the last few days I have noticed it starting to go a bit yellow, and on checking it today, its now worryingly yellow (although predominantly green, I'd say maybe 1/4 yellow).

Due to the warm weather we are still having the grass is again long (5-6 inches, with a few extreme areas pushing 8 inches). Should I mow again now or leave it until spring? Obviously its wet most of the time at the minute and I'm worried that if the weather does go cold, it may be bad for it? (current 5-day forecast for my area shows it dropping to about 5 degrees towards the end of that period).

Is there anything else I should do?

Any help would be appreciated, as I obviously don't want my hard work and success to this point to be undone.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would leave it alone grass is amazing in how it recovers, just look at the brown parched lawns we had during the hose ban, it soon revives if left to it's own devices.(y)
Just use a strimmer to chop off the longest bits before you use the mower on a high setting in the spring.

You could spray some iron on it. soluble iron will help green it up without encouraging it to grow. it also helps hardne turf against cold weather.

I wouldnt worry though just stay off it when frosty and itll be fine in the spring.

Sponsored Links
don't forget grass loses chlorophyll during winter (lack of sunlight). and it's green-ness... Just keep the leaves off as best you can.. if it grows over winter cut it (as long as it's dry and no frost at all)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back