newly tiled floor grout discoloration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen floor has been tiled,but the grouting ranges from charcoal to white.The tiler says it's due to washing the floor,but I feel it's possibly just poor workmanship.Please could you advise.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Penny,
If a tiled floor has been freshly grouted and a COLOURED grout has been used, it is important that the tiler keeps excess water away from the grouted lines as the floor is being cleaned off with, say a wet sponge or cloth. Grout will change colour and lighten up (bleaching) if the surface of the grout gets too much water on it,while the grout is still "green", ( not properly set). There is no way of getting the colour back to the original, now it has dried out....I'm not saying you did, but if you had cleaned the floor tiles with an over-wet mop/squeegee, before the grout has had time to set properly, this would cause grout dis-colouration too.

Roughcaster.

penelopepitstop

Dont worry, there are products available to clean and restore the grout to its original colour, which will need sealing afterwards. Speak to the team at trades direct in stoke, explain the problem and a wonderful range of aquamix products will restore the floor. Cant do a linky thingymajiggy sorry.

You shouldn't have to clean and restore new grout to its original colour. Coloured grouts and renders are notorious, for areas "bleaching up" where excess water has been used.There have been posts on here before of remedies ranging from aquamixes to grout pens. There is no substitute for the natural looking colour of the grout. Just adding something onto the grout to make it all look the same colour, is not the same as being the same colour through and through, and will it last over time :?:

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
White grout on a floor? You're wasting your time with white penelopepitstop. Grey grout is the way forward for grouting floor tiles. If and when you re-grout, bare this in mind for an easy life and a better looking floor. ;)

I think it was charcoal colour that has bleached up white in places gcol.

Roughcaster.

It's not clear, but I suppose that could be the case RC. I've not seen a proper white colour produced from using a grey grout as yet though.

Roughcaster

Try the aquamix products.You will be amazed as was i !. The epoxy based colourants for example have a 15 year life on them. Ive done several floors with them now including a busy restaurant kitchen floor i did six months ago. I went back about a fortnight ago and the you would swear it had been re grouted that week. Seeing is believing my friend!!

Jase,
I don't disbelieve you, but it shouldn't be needed on a brand new floor. It's ok sprucing up an older floor to smarten it up, especially a busy restaurant floor. Thanks anyway.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back