Next door loft extention draining onto my roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, new neighbours next door and six months ago they put up a loft extension, we had a problem with our roof leaking before they finished but they put that right and said sorry. Six months later another leak in the same place and this time I had a proper look at it.

They have built right up to the party line and have their lead flashing hanging over so that side drains into our roof. The builders sent a roofer out who told me the concrete fillet on our side was not really good enough and I should consider get it done in lead, they mastic sealed the join between my roof and their new run of bricks and said they will come back next week to concrete it if that stops the leak.

Seems to me that they have no business draining onto my roof at all, am I right? That concrete fillet should not be having to deal with water running across it, been here 15 years and the roof has never leaked before.

We plan to sell this house in the the next five years, is that going to make a surveyor's eyebrows go up? If I get them to do it in lead is that acceptable? Is this something I will need the council planning people to get involved in? Is it bang out of order?

Pictures are a view from our side to the party line, the brickwork is new and their work, they were trampling up and down, their roofer freely admitted that they must have damaged the existing concrete and dislodged a ridge tile too.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0819.JPG
    IMG_0819.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_0820.JPG
    IMG_0820.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 455
  • IMG_0821.JPG
    IMG_0821.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 445
  • IMG_0822.JPG
    IMG_0822.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG_0823.JPG
    IMG_0823.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Firstly i see an original parapet wall. so some of any water would have been yours anyway.
The sensible solution would be get your side properly flashed in lead. current weathering would fail sooner or later
The ridge, is bedded into the mortar weathering and is still in its original position.
This can happen when the roof has settled under the weight of the none original roof .

Um sure but are they allowed to drain onto my roof? Seems a bit much for me to pay to improve my roof to deal with their loft's water?

They have almost certainly caused your leak but its going to be difficult to prove. There is no reason for the extra water to run down your roof.

Sponsored Links
Eh, that side of the dormer and all of the top of it with the right wind will drain onto my roof, surely that"s not allowed, they"ve already accepted they caused the leak. Surely they have to deal with their own water, they"re not allowed to dump it onto the nearest roof?

And they built that parapet wall, sure there was an old one but they removed it and rebuilt it.

Are they going to fit guttering to the dormer? That way any water from the dormer can be directed down their roof surely

That's finished as of six months ago, job done other then them now coming back to patch up the join on my side. They have built right up to the party line and left themselves no room for a gutter, so they leaded it over the parapet and slightly past so the water runs onto my roof

What part of your neighbours roof is the water coming from that’s draining into your roof? If it’s the dormer, can’t that be fixed by fitting a gutter to the front of the dormer and angling the downpipe away from your roof?

I haven't been out there in the rain but surely when the rain is blown against that side, it will run back onto my roof, I assume that my roof has leaked, for me to notice, once in six months because the right sort of wind and rain happened. If they've guided the lead over the wall and into my roof then they expect water to be coming off it seems to me.

True on the gutter, that might be the simplest solution, mind you, the gutter would be on my land to

Why would the gutter be on your land, it goes across the front of the dormer above their roof, and as long as the stopend doesn’t sit proud of the dormer side it’s not on your land.

Small point, the side of the former us against the wall so the gutter would have to sit on the line if the wall, so two bricks wide. Anyhow, it's a good idea, ta

it should not need gutter on the sides, I would have expected an arris rail fitted to the two sides. Then the felt drip formed over.
minimal water would then run off the dormer roof side ways.
half the wall is theirs surely?
it just needs a lead flashing fitted rather than a mortar fillet with tile slips

I'm not sure you get my point, their dormer is so close to the paraper wall that they have no room to deal with any water that runs off the side or top of that dormer so they've lead sealed the side so that water runs onto my roof, over the fillet and then gets through it at some point. Why should I have to pay for lead, I appreciate it's better but what I have now has done fine for the 15 years I've lived here at least.

In short, they are dumping water onto my roof, there's no benefit to me at all, and there is a risk to me, indeed its leaked twice in the six months since they put it up. And again, when I sell the house, surely that's something that might appear on a surveyor report?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back