Is this a good roofing/lead flashing job?

I'm very tempted

but all the roofers that came to see the job have been as bad as one another

I heard that I wouldn't need soakers with redland 49 concrete tiles or an i mistaken?

My mistake I was under the influence of Islay's Finest and was looking at the wrong photo.
Definitely a 6" waterline and plenty of cover over the profile.
Looking at the shallow pitch though. soakers would do no harm

Sponsored Links
Updated thread with pics

I guess now would be an opportune time to ask whether this a 'good roofing/lead flashing job?'

(ducks for cover)

Attachments

• IMG_20210112_151903285.jpg
    IMG_20210112_151903285.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20210112_145251466_HDR~2.jpg
    IMG_20210112_145251466_HDR~2.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 186
No it's not great. Looks like a shallow chase into render. Joint pumped up with lead mastic .
The bottom dressing is a give away

Trying not to pick holes as it's an issue for you but was he the cheapest quote?
And did he use a banana as a straight edge for the chase?

Sponsored Links
Following the lead work, water ingress was still noted

In order to identify whether the water was entering from above (i.e. the parapet wall) or below (i.e. under the lead flashing/roof tile), the roofer lifted the lead flashing, applied some lead sealant and then 'glued' this down to the tile

The water ingress cut down significantly. He is now suggesting the use of a 'secret gutter'

At present, water ingress was noted on the front and rear elevation party wall, closest to the gutter. Does anyone know why?

Trying not to pick holes as it's an issue for you but was he the cheapest quote?
And did he use a banana as a straight edge for the chase?
No, he wasn't the cheapest.

I wouldn't be surprised, however in his defence, the roof does have a bow in it

Secret gutter will make no difference.
Sticking the lead down wouldn't make any difference.
However, if the over laps are wrong then sticking them down would help for now.
Your barking up the wrong tree

Secret gutter will make no difference.
The roofer said that as there is a significant gap between the parapet wall and the redland roof tile, he wanted to use a secret gutter to stop driving rain getting under the lead and into the property.

Is that not the case? The secret gutter wont solve this issue?

What about soakers? Or is it simply a case that the lead has not been laid down properly?

Sticking the lead down wouldn't make any difference.
It stopped the majority of the water ingress.

My issue is that sticking lead sealant down onto the roof tile is not a long term solution.

The gap between wall and tiles is irrelevant.
The new flashing covers two rolls of the tile. Even if water got back that far it would get on the underlay.
If mastic applied slowed the leak it is most likely that over laps have been sealed.
It would not made a difference to water tracking sideways.
There is a possibility that tiles have been crack during lead dressing.
The flashing isn't great. A shallow cut into render is pretty poor.

Fwiw, if you do get things added the a secret gutter will eclipse soakers on these tiles.

I still say there's more to the issue

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back