Rendered over Lead Flashing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

After having a loft conversion and new concrete man-made slate roof fitted on my terraced house, by Bodgers. They fitted soakers, then just rendered over the soakers with a concrete mix. There were some leaks. I heard that, of six roofs they have done in this area, four are leaking.

I had to get in another roofer who was recommended to me as fully competent, by the local roofing suppliers. He seemed to know what he was doing. He has now, I hope, corrected all the bodges.

He has removed all the defective render, refitted the 200mm lead flashing, by making an upstand where the slates meet the the vertical brick wall, screwing a stop-bead through the lead with lead washers, then rendered down to the stop-bead. He assured me the render would be water-tight. As far as I am aware, he didn't chase the lead into the wall.

A builder friend of mine, says this will NOT work, He says, the render will crack, water will get in behind it, and run under the soakers, and I'll be back where I started from.

Have I been had again ?

Sponsored Links
He should have chased a lead apron into the wall above the soakers, how long it will last is anyones guess.

Hi All,

I had to get in another roofer who was recommended to me as fully competent, by the local roofing suppliers. ?
That`s like my local Petrol Station saying I`m a good driver :cry: However what`s done is better than what was there and - Worst Case Scenario - If the render is Not painted , it can be treated with a liquid waterproofer that`ll keep water out @ least until it cracks a bit , maybe beyond :idea: I had a chimney that was leaking water down to the fireplace . Poured a load of Thompson`s water seal round the pot , onto the flaunching - did the job ;) sealed the cracks etc. Much later I had a new pot and reflaunched it .

Sponsored Links
polonium,

As above, you must have the lead chased into the stack.

Given new work etc. it would be worth your while to post pics on here - you dont want more expense and clambering about the roof in the future.

What 200mm flashing are you referring to? Presumably depth?

Given the different expansion rates, any render over lead will split and crack within a summer or two.

You've paid for a first class job, then get one - dont bodge the final and perhaps most important last bit that actually keeps the water out.

Have to say it does look OK - I would definitely give it a coat of Water Seal , and the coping too , covering the lead with a dust sheet - then give the lead a coat of patination oil ( just cosmetic , stops it going white and staining the slates). In the scheme of things the job`s far better than a lot of Itinerant roofers get up to ;) . It`s a short upstand and it`s sheltered by the dormer - the first go was so obviously wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back