Lead Flashing - What's the right way to install it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Called a few roofers around and they all have differing ways of installing the lead flashing on parapet wall and i just wanted some advice

Some have said that they will

1. Remove the existing concrete fillet
2. Chase into the parapet wall
3. Insert/ install lead flashing

Some have said that a proper job is to hack off the silvery coating on the parapet , then mechanically fix the flashing to the parapet

Some have said that soakers must be used for the best job

I am a overwhelmed and would like some confirmation from you guys on the correct way to install lead flashing

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 289
Sponsored Links
If the lead does not penetrate the brickwork then the rain can get behind the render [silvery coating ] and travel through to roof.

If the lead does not penetrate the brickwork then the rain can get behind the render [silvery coating ] and travel through to roof.
So chasing into the brickwork is the way to do it. Thanks

However one guy said that he'd hack off the silvery coating on the parapet. This seems unnecessary or am i wrong?

Also do I need to have soakers installed when i have concrete roof tiles?

No soakers necessary for the tile concerned (Ludlow major unless mistaken)
Lead flashing should cover a roll
Depends how far you want to go mate the previous owner has attempted/paid for a lash up if you want to hack off and make good be prepared for a considerable price difference
I'd probably try and include chimney in the price as this has the same issue
The roof doesn't look to old from the pugwork but firewalls are definitely an issue that need lead details and not simply lash on materials

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments lads

Realign gutter brackets while your at it.

To do this, would the bracket (circled yellow) be raised up as there is a dip to the gutter on the left hand side of the bracket?

Would I need any additional brackets for that noticeable dip?

upload_2020-12-22_13-23-40.png

Last edited:
Take the gutter off and tie a line from the party wall bracket to the gable end bracket and that way you can set your brackets to the string line, brackets about every 800mm so you need at least one more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back