Next door neighbour changed their felt roofing but it's overlapping my felt roof by 6 inches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope there's some felt roofing experts that can help. My next door neighbour recently got a builder to replace their felt roofing some weeks ago (mine and next doors felt roof is shared between our properties). A week ago I was cleaning my front door, I looked up at my roof and noticed the next door neighbours felt roof is overlapping my roof by a fair distance. Spoke to my neighbour who gave me their builders phone number - the explanation the builder gave was a) he needed to overlap my neighbours felt by 6 inches on top of my roofing for safety reasons, he said the shared felt roof slopes slightly downwards from my side to the neighbours side so the neighbour would be getting all the rain water his way (the neighbour has a gutter on the side of his house, we have no gutter for the front of our houses next to the felt roof). He said if he was able to go under my felt roofing he could reduce the overlapping to 3 inches ??? (Not sure why this is).

Has anyone heard of the above as a reason to overlap so much onto someone else's felt roofing. Also the builder didn't even tell me or ask permission to do the overlap, on the day of the work I noticed they were near my boundary but I didn't realise what they did until recently. What I don't understand is why he couldn't have overlapped a smaller length (3 inches or less), the builder said he would come and rectify if I wasn't happy, are there implications if I ask him to reduce the overlap onto my roof and by how much can I ask him to reduce it by ?

Part of me thinks the overlap should be minimal and should only go a little onto my side after all it's my felt roofing lol.

What does everyone think about this ? Any help or advice is appreciated.

Deeman

Sponsored Links
I suspect that as the builder says the roof slopes towards your neighbors side he has used a generous overlap as the rainwater would be running against the end of the overlap so would be more liable to leak. If he had gone under your felt with the overlap then that would be the right way assuming he is correct in which way the water flows.

TBH - I'd ask why didn't your neighbour ask you if you wished to have your felt roof replaced at the same time. That would have been a much better job.

So ask yourself - do want the roof to look pretty or be waterproof? Me - 'd sooner have it waterproof than pretty (but then I talk to my neighbours).

Maybe the builder will come back and do your roof and make a good watertight seal.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back