next doors cooker vent in my back yard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello everyone,
i live in a terraced house with a back yard. Next door has vented their cooker hood into my back yard and the vent is opposite my back door and in front of my window .when they cook and i have door or window open all their cooking smells come into my house. are they allowed to vent out into another properties oudoor space.

Sponsored Links
A photo or drawing would be nice, so we can visualise this. I'm struggling to visualise how in terraced houses the neighbour could vent directly into your back yard.

I'm picturing terraced houses with half width (possibly single storey) kitchens on the back.

So this cooker hood vent would be coming out of the back wall of next doors kitchen (the boundary wall) into the OP's back yard.

Sponsored Links
Cheers Inky Pete. If that's the case then I think his neighbour is breaking the law. Round here these sort of terraced houses seem to be built so that the extension bit at the back face each other (every second house) if that makes sense. The extension bit, is in effect, semi detached, sharing the central wall with the next door neighbour, t'other way. ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back