Next door's extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
My new neighbour has started an extension and I'd be interested to know what people think of the build so far.
We are terraced and originally they had three small connected extensions which they have demolished. On the attached picture you can see the side wall that they have built in breeze block up to the boundary line with my house which is on the right. They have not crossed the boundary line so you may be wondering why I care what they do on their side of the boundary.
I would like to know that what they have built is safe as I walk near that wall as my back door to the garden is facing it !
I have my own ideas about what might be wrong with the wall that has been built but I would like to see what comes back on here unprompted, but here is a starter for 10 - I'm pretty sure no wall ties have been used. And yes, they laid some new concrete foundations.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked with your local council to see if any planning permission has gone in for the build? If it is going to be a shed then fair dos, seems odd to spend the money on double skin wall and not leave a decent cavity. If it's going to be habitable then they'll regret not doing it properly. Are they doing it themselves or have they paid someone? And have they pointed it up nicely on your side or is it a bit shoddy?

No it won't fall over at that height. If it goes much higher, kick off- more than 2500 high would usually need planning permission and probably building regs as well.

Hi
No planning permission as far as I'm aware but that's not my concern at the moment
It's going to be a fancy kitchen diner so not a shed.
They are paying someone to do this for them and are living away whilst it's done.
On my side it looks a mess but I'm confident that the builders will do what they have told me they will and render and paint it.
Good to hear that it won't fall over. I'm told a sloping roof is going to sit between the square side walls.

Last edited:
So the roof is going to slope from front to back?. Yuck, plus watch out for overhanging verge on your side .

If that's going to be habitable you'll be doing your neighbours a favour by getting building control or environmental health interested (building next door, concerned wall not stable, can you have a look)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.
If it's stable and they render and paint my side, I'm fine with it. I've already told them that I want nothing hanging over the boundary on my side e.g. guttering.
The owners have been to see it so they can see the width of the cavity.
So from my point of view, pending the above being completed, is there no issue for me ?
Thanks.

Maybe I'm missing somethingg here... But did they not approach you in the first place?

Surely they needed access to dig out the footings, do the pointing up etc?
What also should be of concern is the use of blocks on the side wall with brick on the side facing their garden - is the intention to leave you looking at blocks or do you have an arrangement in place for access to render or otherwise finish that face?

Did you not have a notice from the council regarding the work?

I bumped into the owner the day before the work started and he told me that it was happening and asked me if they could access it from my side and I agreed. One of the fence panels has been removed for the build so they can get over that way.
They're telling me that the blocks on my side will be rendered and painted and I believe them at this stage.
I got no notice from the council which I guess means that they haven't applied for planning permission, but they are building over a very similar footprint to their original albeit with the group of three now demolished extensions now squared off into one.
I don't think I get any notice from the council if a neighbour has applied for building regs.
I'm just wanting to know if there's anything I should be concerned or watch out for, particularly in the way it's being built.
Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back