Next step? Circuit breaker switches when I turn on dishwasher.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As stated in the subject field, as soon as I begin to switch on my dishwasher, the related circuit breaker switch in the CU flips down.

I've checked to see if water has leaked around the power sockets under the sink but they seem fine so I'm assuming (with my very limited knowledge) water has leaked within the dishwasher and causing a short.

What would be the steps I take now to confirm what the issue is and if it can be fixed?

I can disconnect it, take off as many panels as possible to try to spot anything obvious but is there anything else I can try first? I did try swapping the plugs in their power sockets.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If it plugs into a socket then try plugging your kettle into the socket and see if it causes the mcb to trip.

If it does there's any issue with the socket/wiring, if it doesn't then it's the dishwasher

PartID_CU.jpg
As said what is tripping? If MCB then not looking at water.

Hi,

As stated in the subject field, as soon as I begin to switch on my dishwasher, the related circuit breaker switch in the CU flips down.

I've checked to see if water has leaked around the power sockets under the sink but they seem fine so I'm assuming (with my very limited knowledge) water has leaked within the dishwasher and causing a short.

What would be the steps I take now to confirm what the issue is and if it can be fixed?

I can disconnect it, take off as many panels as possible to try to spot anything obvious but is there anything else I can try first? I did try swapping the plugs in their power sockets.

Thanks very much.
Try plugging in the d/w socket to a separate circuit.

Blup

To be fair, TLC call it an RCD on their website. If it walks like an RCD, quacks like an RCD then it might actually be an RCD or an RCCB. I don't think it matters for this thread though.

1697129935232.png

View attachment 316779As said what is tripping? If MCB then not looking at water.
Surely water in contact with a live piece of equipment, (cable, circuit board, relay etc), will cause an MCB to trip?
He hasn't mentioned anything about an RCD in the board, so assuming there isn't one protecting this circuit, something has to protect it against an earth fault.

To be fair, TLC call it an RCD on their website. If it walks like an RCD, quacks like an RCD then it might actually be an RCD or an RCCB. I don't think it matters for this thread though
Yes, lots of people get things wrong.

It is an RCD but then so is an RCBO - so it is no good asking if something is an RCBO or an RCD.

1697131786137.png

Anyone want to discuss 'spurs'?

Surely water in contact with a live piece of equipment, (cable, circuit board, relay etc), will cause an MCB to trip?
Not usually, as it is unusual for water to have a low enough resistance to cause that many amps to flow. I have had it happen to me on one occasion (flood through garage with freezer), but I was extremely surprised and can only put it down to some unexpected side effect.

Surely water in contact with a live piece of equipment,
Pure water has a high resistance to electrical current and in any domestic situation would be unable to carry enough current to trip an MCB or blow a fuse.

Water that is not pure will conduct some electricity, again not enough to trip an MCB but it could carry enough current ( 30mA ) leaking to Earth for a RCD to be tripped.

Very unlikely, the water path would need to conduct well in excess of 13amp to blow the fuse in the plug, or 20, or 32amps MCB. Which is where RCD's/ RCBO's come in useful - they trip with a fault to earth current of just 30mA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back