NHBC - how much?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now me never having been involved in that end of a new build, i'm in the market for some information, albeit at a ballpark, kicking ideas around stage.

my question is, what would be the premium NHBC would want to wring out of my tight fisted grip?

the project for the sake of argument is a new build with a market price of £275,000, using traditional construction methods (that is to say nothing radical) on a neutral soil (that is to say not contaminated, not heavy clay etc) in other words with no surprises attached for the insurance company.

am i looking at 1 per mille or 1 per cent or what? anyone got any idea how it's worked out? also, do they do offers like free toasters?

Sponsored Links
I don't know how much they charge, I know you have to register (£££) and your experience as a housebuilder also reflects the price. Zurich used to do it but do not anymore. LABC do one that is widely accepted by Mortgage companies and I believe this is very competitive with NHBC. There is so little competition I seriously doubt they need to do offers.

cheers fella, i hadn't thought of the experience level affecting the premium.

anyone here actually paid for one?? if so, would you mind sharing your take on the costs involved? i'll look into the other schemes as well while i'm about it :)

Gave mine up about 5yrs ago so not sure of current prices. Then they had different bands A1-D4 depending on how long you were a member, with A1 the cheapest to register a house. You move up from D to A depending on number of houses built per annum and number of claims made against you (the more you build the faster you move up the scale). It cost me roughly £500 a year for band B1 plus roughly £400 per property (on a scale depending on valuation).

I only had it to make clients mortgage applications easier but I wasn't impressed with the workings of the NHBC.

Sponsored Links
ah cheers denso, any info is helpful, and that gives me a good idea costs.

i've done some work for nhbc and they seem ok once they've accepted they are going to have to pay out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back