NIC Domestic Installer Assessment At End Of Week

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Ive got my domestic installer assessment at the end of the week and im showing the inspector 2 x con unit changes with full electrical installation cert and the rest of the property brought up to 16th edition (main earthing and bonding etc)

I know these 2 jobs are bang on and he wont fail me on the work itself. However im a bit nervous about the questions he may ask.
I was wondering if anyone who has had one of these assessments could help me out by telling me what questions the assessor asked them and what tests he wanted to see carried out so I can be a bit more prepared.

Thanks
Terry

Sponsored Links
Terry i have asked this question and NIC questions in previous posts, for some reason you will not seem to get an answer, not sure why but people on forum just dont seem to know...

No, I think that particular question is perfectly reasonable - however, what HAS happened on this forum recently is people asking exam questions and expecting the experts here to do their work for them.

Unfortunately I'm neither am expert nor a sparky, but the guys may be able to give him some pointers?

The questions he will ask will be electrical questions based on BS7671. The tests that he will want to see will be a choice between:

Insulation resistance testing
Earth loop impedance testing
Continuity of cpc testing
Ring final testing
Polarity checking
Instrument proving
PSCC testing/calculating

hope this helps

Sponsored Links
No problem, had my assessment a few months ago.
If you know your assessments are bang on, MAIN BONDING, SUPPLEMENTARY BONDING, COLOUR IDENT,S ON SWITCH CABLES, LABELS ON CONSUMER UNIT (RCD TESTING, 230V, NEXT TEST DUE) your half way there.
First he will ask you to describe the work you have done and have a look around.
Now he will ask you to do some tests on consumer unit (MAKE SURE YOU SAFELY DISCONNECT SUPPLY AND CHECK IT WITH A CERTIFIED VOLTAGE INDICATOR on your 16th edition test equipment!, check its not live, then go to the live side of the main switch to check your equipment is working, they like that! ;)
When you do a test they will ask if the results are within expected/acceptable parameters. What is the max. value. You will not need to know these parrot fashion, only know where to find them in your osg!
Trying to think of q's he asked me:
Are R1+R2 values acceptable?
Are insulation test readings acceptable
What are acceptable insulation readings? - 0.5MOhm but should really be over 2MOhm
What are max. Zs for 32A ring main with bs60898 breakers? - again osg (not ones on NICEIC certs as these are rule of thumb figures taking into account temp!)
What is max. trip time for 30mA RCD at 1x & 5x?
Remember to do full ring main test, not just ones asked on cert. ie, end to end, phase to neutral opposites, phase to cpc opposites.
Hope this is helpful to you, I know how you feel, I didn't have my assessment till afternoon and spent the morning pacing the floor, but at the end of the day, the assessor was an all right bloke, not the NICEIC monster we're meant to believe they are.
Let us know how you get on, and maybe post anything I have left out for overs to get prepared

Good luck, I'm sure you don't need it.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back