NIC not allowing two CU's in one dwelling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Does NIC forbid the use of two CU's in one 5 bed house, the second CU is for extra loft converted bedrooms, and a ground floor kitchen extension.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
no but the second one would be a submain, fed from a switchfuse (or possibly a biggish MCB on the main board) so you would not have unprotected tails.

Why do you ask?

What's the problem if a single point of isolation is installed (isolator and henley block)? None whatsoever.
How can they forbid it?

JohnD Posted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:26 pm Post Subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no but the second one would be a submain, fed from a switchfuse (or possibly a biggish MCB on the main board) so you would not have unprotected tails.

Why do you ask? [/color]

The NIC chap is saying it isnt allowed while LABC says its ok.

[/list]

Sponsored Links
probably no help, but I have 4 CUs in only a 3bed house.
I can't see any issue.

But don't you (and the NIC) work to BS7671?

Or do they mean to say there is a different set of regulations for domestic and commercial installations? Or are you not allowed a submains in commercial premisis now?

Hang on - exactly what is he saying isn't allowed, and why?

Has he written this down?

The guidance notes talk about having a single point of isolation, OR labelling each main switch to say that it is not the only point of isolation in the property, but it does not forbid multiple DB's.

Ask the NIC guy what regulation is being breached.

looking at it again, it wouldn't be a submain (I thought at first you meant the second CU would be in the loft, but now I think you don't)

it would just be an ordinary 2 CUs domestic installation.

just needs a 100A DP main switch and Henley blocks.

It happens all the time.

Does NIC forbid the use of two CU's in one 5 bed house
They might.

They might also demand that you shave every hair off your body, cover it in Swarfega and don a pink tutu.

In ignorance and fear you could do what they say, or you could tell them to f*** off and die.

Your choice.

Worked out why NIC chap says its not allowed. Because he is a Domestic Installer he can only issue certificate if the dwelling has only one CU!

I bet he himself doesn't know that approved contractors can do multiple CU's.

BTW He also says cant have six double sockets in a bedroom and that sockets cant be underneath a window.

Yesterday I asked my NICEIC assessor if he'd heard anything about this his reply
"sounds like wholesale counter chat by those that know F*** all"

Worked out why NIC chap says its not allowed. Because he is a Domestic Installer he can only issue certificate if the dwelling has only one CU!
B******s.

I bet he himself doesn't know that approved contractors can do multiple CU's.
So can DI's

BTW He also says cant have six double sockets in a bedroom and that sockets cant be underneath a window.
B******s.

They might also demand that you shave every hair off your body, cover it in Swarfega and don a pink tutu.

Sh*t. You've seen the photos. Please don't tell anyone it was me.

OP:

Where's John and his ROFL Emoticons when you need them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back