Night Storage Heater Controls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Berry Magicoal storage heater has a dial at the bottom in addition to the usual 2 "Input" and "Output" dials on the top. What does this third dial do? (It is simply numbered 1 to 6)

Sponsored Links
Some of the Berry Magicoal Heaters had a separate, but built in convector that could be used any time on the normal electricity tariff for when either the storage heater was running out of heat, or for just a quick warm up in spring / autumn. I seem to remember that is what the dial (8 in the diagram below) is for, but It's along while since I saw one, so I can't be 100% certain. I think Berry went out of business about 25 years ago.

The other dials at the top are:

3 Heat output control that raises / lowers the flap at the top to open the heat outlet
2 Heat input control that controls how much heat is stored overnight

Berry Magicoal.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. The diagram does match my heater and it is dial 8 that is puzzling me.
When I turn it it clicks like a thermostat. I dont think it can use the normal electricity tarriff as there is no clock on the heater itself and there is only a single supply lead into the heater.
Where did you find the diagram? It looks as though it should have some text with it explaining the numbered items.

Sponsored Links
You would need a second supply so, maybe that's not what it's for, unless it's not been connected. Having given it more thought, I seem to remember that the property I'm thinking of may also have had heaters that had the same dial and yet didn't have convectors in. There might have just been an on/off switch for the convector.

The drawing is from a spare parts website I have used for storage heater parts in the past. I imagine that they have used the drawing from the heater manual, but unfortunately as far as I can see, they don't make any reference to the numbers. Maybe if you contacted them they could help. There is an email address for advice.

Link to website

I'm guessing that Berry Magicoal disappeared before manufacturers instructions started being posted on the web, but I believe they were taken over by Dimplex and continued to make the heaters badged as Dimplex for a while. Maybe they could advise.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, it was a long time ago since I last saw them.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back