Nightmare with Airlocks after radiator fitment.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday i turned off my Glow worm eco boiler (12years old ish), Disconnected a radiator to swap it for another one. When i went to drain the system I was going to let it run a bit to rinse out the pipes but the flow just stopped.
This was a surprise as i hadn't turned off any taps! Anyway i changed the rad and then couldn't get the system to re-fil. The downstairs radiators are full but upstairs empty. The boiler cuts out presumably because its overheating. Expansion cistern in loft is full. Any ideas please? :confused:

Sponsored Links
I'm with Kev. It is very common to have a sediment blockage in the 15mm feed pipe just at the T joint where it comes into the main circulation. You often first become aware of it after draining a rad for decorating.

If you're lucky, the joint will be made with compression fittings so you can take it off and poke it clear.

Unfortunately, if there is no flow, chemical cleaners are no good because they won't circulate.

Some people say you can shift it by putting an Aquavac on the Vent pipe, or a hose attacked to the cold tap.

If not, you will have to cut it out. Have plenty of basins and buckets handy for when you do.

Once you've cleared it, use a chemical cleaner and thorough flush to get out what loose crud you can, before it gets into the pump or re-settles into a new blockage.

After flushing add an Inhibitor chemical to prevent the corrosion getting worse. If you can afford it you might fit a Magnaclean to cling onto the circulating muck.

Look up "blockage"

Unfortunatly they are soldered joints but then i'm lucky like that!! Thanks very much for advice, ill let you know how it goes. :p

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back