Nightmare with water cyclinder!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The electric Imersion stopped working the other day so I went out and got another one. Went to fit it today, put the spanner on the electric imersion unit gave it a tiny tug and the tank split!

Not bad but water was leaking from it. I rushed out and managed to find another combination cylinder that was in stock.

I have the old one out now just looking at the pipework.

Do you need any type of sealant? Or is it just PTFE tape? Is it true you dont tightnen the nuts and bolts up too much, do it by hand or just nick the nuts with a spanner?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
i just use silcone grease on the tread and insert element the fibre washer seals the element.
you start using sealants you'll never get it out again.

Hi there

did you use any ptfe? Is the silicone grease there just to make it easier to get off or has another property?

Thanks!

help the thread incase it needs to be removed in future.
i never use ptfe or any sealants. as it just clogs the thread up, long as the cylinder face and fibre washer is clean it should seal.
screw in by hand and just give it a last nip up when tightening you can give your spanner a tap with a hammer on the last bit.

Sponsored Links
As the tank has already split and you are talking about the replacement tank and the pipe conections as well as the emersion heater, I would go for silicone lub on the emersion element, and a suitable joint compound on the pipe work to the tank. Try to support any fittings you are tightening so not to damage the new tank else where.
I would fill the tank 3/4 full at least before I fitted the element, this will allow you to tighten it without the tank moving about to much. When the element is fitted fill the tank right up and check it for leaks, and tighten a bit more if needed.

Tony

Hi

Just finished. Took ages! Had to keep popping out for bits. Had a bit of an issue with the pipe work, because the new tank was slightly different. Piped it all it, filled it up with water and I had a couple of leaks. I used silicone on the imersion and ptfe tape on all the others, the bloke at the plumbing shop said it would be ok. Obviously not lol. Should have stuck with the advice I got here... :( I still got a leak on the infeed and outfeed.

I dont really want to tighten them up any more, I have done them quite tight as it is. Dont want a repeat of last time! Have to see how I get on. I had a Combination Cyclinder. Total cost today £350 :( exspensive just for a faulty imersion, never mind.

The guys are talking about silicone grease not silicone sealant :?:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back