Nightmare

Sponsored Links
Right. Fine!

Do I take out the whole conduit and replace as I go or can I feed through the existing?

Secondly is this the conduit I need or a different type? : http://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-corrugated-conduit-black-20mm-x-10m/50443

Need bonding coat, multifinish. Got the cable already.

#3daysextraworkforalightsocket

Honestly you lot. Plumbers don't behave like this.

It's a light switch, and I would expect all the wiring in the flat to be similar requiring a FULl rewire. You need to employ a professional for at least some of the work. You may be able to use the existing conduit, but also maybe not, we don't know how it routes.

Yeah plumbers tend not to care about dangerous electrics too much.....

Phatboy, I'm not gonna argue with that because I need to close this room up for decorating ASAP I've already caused enough disruption. I can first fix.

Here is the layout:

IMG_20170329_204305.jpg

Pull cord on the left.

Switch hole bottom right.

Light centre of the room.

What does this tell you ?

Sponsored Links
Is this a flat that you rent out to a tenant? If so I believe you have more obligations to get it sorted professionally?

What does this tell you ?

It's honestly hard to say, the conduit MAY be continuous, and so allow pulling of new cables. But you are going to need to do all rooms, back to the fuse board (I am doubting it has a modern consumer unit even), and to the far end of the circuit.

Once you start you could run into difficulty if cables snag.

And I cannot answer about the earthing required for the conduit, it's beyond my knowledge.

Remove the centre light and the pull cord and get on with it ! stop moaning:sneaky: life's a bitch ……. but at least your still alive to feel it !

DS

Phatboy the C/Us was updated 5 or so years ago. It has MCBs/RCD's etc. It's not rented.

I've slowly rewired as I've gone along changing switch plates and the like. None of the light wiring has been touched on however, ever. There are 3 different lighting circuits. So I understand the concern, yes.

That looks more like VIR than rubber, although replacing is ideal, when you do strip it out its often quite solid.
That slip conduit is not always solid and sometimes has a seam down the side.
sometimes you can sort of peel it back a few inches to get to better cables, though not ideal i have had to do it before, purely to get a circuit back on before more in depth works, lightly grinding the surface a tad without heating it up may make the walls thinner to help.

The cable snapped coz the copper has reverted to a crystalline state which is a very good indicator of its age. This is a non reversible irretrievably state. BORING I KNOW BUT YOU MUST DE-ENERGIZE THE CIRCUIT and progress towards a rewire. As stated a few times before the rest of the wiring is probably of the same age / condition.

Just to reiterate the previous posters, the insulation is falling off the wires, that cable is 30 years past needing a rewire! It's a fire and shock risk to anyone around. Hope you can drag another cable through the same conduit. Sorry you've had this, but as you know all jobs on old houses add 2 more once you start the first (and so on)
What's the history of the house?, if you just bought it the surveyor should have picked up the consumer unit being 60s or earlier.
You may be able to fish the new cable through strategic holes in the ceiling if possible, use an old curtain rail or you can get special rods for it.

Cheers John I'll see what I can do starting at the pendant and working back, never know I may be able to re-chase large parts without opening up anything.

I'm worried about where and how the conduit runs once outside the room but I'll just have to put that out of mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back