ninebob's very own picture of the week

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I show you the picture, see if you can guess...

What would you not expect to find directly under the U-bend of a kitchen sink?

Sponsored Links
Taylortwocities said:
Its a socket to plug in the dishwasher or washing machine?
Almost, but not quite that bad.....

This is in my flat, too. :evil:

Sponsored Links
why the hell is there a pipe joining what appears to be the rising main to the trap?

Thats a pressure release valve for your unvented water heater - You shouldn't touch the red knob - thats the setting I believe.

The pressure release valve usually has a fixed setting. Turning the knob just opens the valve to ensure it is working, or at least it does on mine.

Yes that's right, but opening it also often lets cr*p settle on the seat of the valve so it "lets by". You should test it every service though vast majority wouldn't. A spare is only £3, & worth having.

Thanks for the plumbing answers! I'm equally very grateful for those but if we could continue them in the plumbing topic I linked to that'd be great...

For here, however - is having the FCU for the water heater right under the trap something I should be playing up at the landlord about? Does it contravene any regs, for example?

Doe it contravene regs? Yup.

The FCU, in that position, isnt suitable for the environment. Any leak - or when the u bend needs unblocking - will result in wetness in the 230V area.

also Building Regs say that all electrical accessories (like an FCU) should be on the fabric of the building. Some say that a kitchen cupboard is part of the building fabric, and that it really means you cant put a socket on a tea trolley, but i'm not so sure about that.

Basically it should not be there, on the vertical would be much better.

Taylortwocities said:
Doe it contravene regs? Yup.
unfortunately it only contravense the rather vauge suitable for its environment reg which will make it rather hard to get anything done about it :(.

also Building Regs say that all electrical accessories (like an FCU) should be on the fabric of the building.
I've heared lots of people mention this (some claim its only a reccomendation which is very odd, laws don't tend to reccomend they require) but noone back it up with a cite from anything official. Do you have a cite for an actual reg requiring this or are you just repeating hearsay?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back