NISSAN MICRA TEMPEST 2002 - 2002, 998cc Petrol. Pollen being blown in after pollen filter repalced

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
I recently had my vehicle routinely serviced and the pollen filter changed as part of that.

When I next started driving it and using the fan however lots of "pollen" started to blow into the car.

I thought that the pollen filter keeps this stuff out so I sent the car back to the garage and they say the filter was fitted fine and but there is material in the "vents, pollen filter and housing blower" which needs cleaning out.

Given this was not a problem before I sent the car for a service is this normal? Or are they taking me for a ride?

Sponsored Links
They are probably right......what I do is to remove the old filter and then turn the interior fans on full blast, which effectively cleans everything out of the plastic ducts.
Then, its new filter in time.
John :)

Thanks John, can I simply leave the fan on for a while to remove the stuff from the ducts now that they have already put in the new one? Or do I need to remove the filter first?

Last edited:
I don't believe it would generate petrol smells. I suppose there is a faint chance they wiped it out with a rag with solvents on it.

I keep my cabin-filter box clean with a vac, soft brush, water, finish with a clean damp cloth (it accumulates leaf litter) about once a year. The dirt is only ever on the dirty side of the filter, not in the ducts. There is a rainwater drain which I flush out with water as the leaves can block it.

Sponsored Links
I don't believe it would generate petrol smells. I suppose there is a faint chance they wiped it out with a rag with solvents on it.

I keep my cabin-filter box clean with a vac, soft brush, water, finish with a clean damp cloth (it accumulates leaf litter) about once a year. The dirt is only ever on the dirty side of the filter, not in the ducts. There is a rainwater drain which I flush out with water as the leaves can block it.

Thanks. There are no petrol smells just old tiny leaf bits blowing into the cabin when the fan is turned on. What I am confused by was how they got into the ducts. I.e. I would have expected those bits (as you said) to be on the dirty side of the old filter not in the ducts.

then either they clumsily knocked leaves into the duct while changing the filter, or the filter has not been fitted properly and there is a gap big enough for leaf fragments to blow through. Can you open the box and have a look? Have your vac with you. There must be an external grille somewhere as well.

filter might be like this one (I haven't had a Micra)

(my reference to petrol was from misunderstanding the heading)

p.s.

I have been having a browse through some of the other pollen filter change vids for various cars, and I am amazed how difficult they are. I am lucky enough to have a car where it is fairly easy.

Back