No boot, no beeps, but all fans working...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope someone out there can help.
I have a home built PC, PcChips 848 MB (I know, but it is our 3rd PC and it was cheap). All the fans work; PSU, MB/case and on Video Card. I have tried 3 MB's, with combination of 2 video cards, 2 PSU's, 2 CPU's and different memory.
As I said, I start it up, I can hear the fans working, but no beeps. The light on the harddrive (in a hard drive rmovable case) shows its working as normal. The monitor green light just carries on flashing.
I know at least one of the CPU's is an Athlon XP 2400, which is compatible with the MB
Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
is the ide cable plugged in securly, i once was poking aound and inadvertantly half unplugged , but it LOOKED ok

Try clearing the CMOS settings. Usually done by moving a jumper of removing the battery for a short period. Also, make sure the CMOS reset jumper is in the 'normal' position.

Sponsored Links
Of course I did that already, I think the processor is at fault, everything else is brand new!! ALthough the processor was taken from a working system, maybe it is not new enough for this motherboard. It says "Semperon ready", I used a MB that said "XP ready" and it woudlnt work with Win 98, so maybe I should just get a semperon and try that.

It might be a faulty processor, but you did say that you have tried a different one.

Have you tried running a basic system, i.e. no drives or peripherals, just motherboard, memory and video?

Which version of the 848 do you have?

What processors have you tried (apart from the one you specified above)?

What memory are you using?

tried basic system
848A version 5
2 amd 462/socket A processors (it doesnt say on them what they are, but both have been taken from working systems)
400 mhz memory (have tried PC 2100 also)

So, which bits are new?

You need to identify which bits are actually working, but from your description, you seem to have tried multiple combinations of everything and nothing works.

Do the bits, acquired from other systems, still work in those systems?

It's going to be the slow process of elimination.

Its definetly the krappy[sorry, this forum seems to censor itself so i have to resort to alternate spellings of words that are not actually curse words] pcchips board.
Dude, go on froogle and get yourself a descent msi, its only $20 more....
I had the same exact problem......
PC Chips = POS

I though i could save a couple bucks from a russian dealer at an expo...big mistake....

Sponsored Links
Back