No bricks underneath window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My grandmother has a building problem & I thought I would post here for some advice for her.

She lives in a semi-detatched 3 bedroom house in West Midlands. Her house is double glazed throughout & she has the old aluminium double glazing frames. She had her double glazing done about 20 years ago.

The problem is this: Underneath the large window in her bedroom at the front of the house there is no bricks supporting the window. There is bricks all around the window, at the sides and above the window but there is no bricks underneath the window. I had a tap around her window to see if she was mistaken but I don't think she is (& admittably my late grandfather, father & auntie have all said exactly the same thing over the years). Underneath her window it sounds hollow whereas around the window (& the rest of the house for that matter) it sounds solid with the bricks.

I know barely anything about building work. Just enough to get by. Underneath the window it has been plastered and my grandmother recently told me when she orignally had the windows fitted 20 years ago, whoever did it "botched up" the job & the bricks came tumbling down when the original bedroom window was removed so the builder plaster boarded underneath the window. She definitely had a cowboy builder but not suprising really as my late grandfather was always having jobs done by builders who came door to door advising him to have work done.

The bedroom is always cold & the wallpaper at the sides of the window is regularly needing replastering. Even with the heating on this room doesn't get much warmer.

I was hoping someone may be able to advise me about this job so I can pass the information on to my grandmother. She is seriously considering having the window removed and bricked up underneath like it should of been done in the begining & then re-fixing the window but of course she's worried about the price.

:arrow: Does anyone know roughly how much this would cost?

Is there a way to make the window (& underneath) more structually sound?

She has a fascia board at the front of the house underneath the bedroom window & a year ago she had to have the window replastered underneath because the plaster was peeling off.

Sponsored Links
before answering this question several key point need filling

how big is the window, is it flat or a bay, how far from cill to floor, it may help if you post some pictures,

Can't see anything wrong with that as long as it was made good with timber, it will still be structually sound. Was it only one skin to begin with or cavity? What is on the outside now, cladding of some kind? Render? If she had it done 20yr ago then whatever protective coating on the outside was put in place then has probably now deteriorated and is letting draughts / damp in.
Get on a ladder and investigate from outside or cut an inspection hole on the inside and investigate from there. Post pics when you know what exactly you're dealing with.

As for putting the 20yr old window back after remedial works, this would be crazy. The reason the room may be cold and damp may be because the windows have had their day and need replacing?

you may be able to reinstate internal brickwork/plaster without taking window out.

Sponsored Links
if it is plasterboard you can probably cut it out, put insulation in the gap, and renew the plasterboard. If it is wallpapered it will be fairly easy, cheap and not show.

Post some pics when you know more in case you need advice about damp.

before answering this question several key point need filling

how big is the window, is it flat or a bay, how far from cill to floor, it may help if you post some pictures,

Ok here is some measurements. Width of window including corner piece is 112 Inches exactly. Length of window from top of window to wooden cill is 62 Inches exactly. Measurement from cill to floor is 32 inches.

I think the window is flat because it doesn't look like a bay window to me. Sorry I can't take any pictures because they would have to be taken on my phone & it would be a very poor picture. I can take a picture of the black stuff around the window & I'll do that tomorrow.

What is skin & what is cavity? :confused: On the outside of the window there is a white fasia board. I don't know what is underneath the fasia board as I was only a baby when it was put up.

I have noticed the window is soaking wet but it's been like this for years. Always seems to happen in the evening. There is also a black damp mark on the ceiling leading to the window. I can see the black mark on the ceiling polystyrine tiles.

If I cut a hole in the wall she will kill me & I don't think I could do this myself. I would be too afraid of damaging something. :oops:

Do you know how much a window of this size would be to replace?

I'm starting to wonder if there is a draft in the room. It was very cold when I just walked into the room to take the measurements.

you may be able to reinstate internal brickwork/plaster without taking window out.

That certainly sounds good. How would it be possible to do this?

Sorry I forgot to mention a year ago we had the room tested for damp & this machine thing was used. We were told there is no damp but it's condensation that is causing the problem.

That certainly sounds good. How would it be possible to do this?

Sorry I forgot to mention a year ago we had the room tested for damp & this machine thing was used. We were told there is no damp but it's condensation that is causing the problem.

the window is fixed to the walls! ;)
address the condensation issues!.

alastairreid";p="1138182 said:
Shade";p="1138090 said:

the window is fixed to the walls! ;)
address the condensation issues!.

Yeah that's on top of my list tomorrow. I've looked at the wiki on here about condensation & noticed that a extractor is needed in the bathroom. My nan doesn't have a extractor in the bathroom but she does in all 3 bedrooms but they've barely been used because they are noisy & she's worried they cost a lot of electricity to run.

I'm going to pick up a bathroom extractor asap. prefarably one that is attatched to the light switch. Do you know the best extractor to use for this & one that is silent? Thank. :D

nan doesn't have a extractor in the bathroom but she does in all 3 bedrooms
:eek: .

extractors in the bedrooms :D thats a new one to me.

best asking on the electrics forum about the best types of extractor.

I'm going to pick up a bathroom extractor asap. prefarably one that is attatched to the light switch. Do you know the best extractor to use for this & one that is silent? Thank. :D

You cannot fit this yourself (unless you're a qualified electrician?) and it will be quite expensive. Also your nan probably wont use it for the same reasons of not using the others. If you wire it up to the lights she'll start using the bathroom in the dark :eek: Best bet would be to shut bedroom door and open window to clear condensation.

Anyway, back to the original question, how do you know what is underneath the window at the moment is not structurally sound? You may be worrying about nothing.

Also on a different note, I don't know anything about you or your nan but certain age people on certain incomes (certainly state pensions) and in certain circumstances can get help from the council to insulate their property and get repair work done to it if deemed necessary. May be worth looking into.

Is your nans bedroom window directly above the window below if so it is possible that there could have been timberwork between the two windows that may have been clad, tiled or rendered to the face.
What have the neighbours got??

Hi all & thanks for your replies & help. :D Very true. I don't know for sure if its made structually sound. I think it must be otherwise I'm sure it would of fell down by now if it's just plaster holding it up. :confused: Yes the bedroom window is above the downstairs living room window.

Next door has what I think is called cladding. There's hundreds of pebbles underneath the neighbours bedroom window. Is this cladding? :confused: Sorry but I'm very much a novice in buildings.

Yep there's a extractor in every bedroom. I've checked the bathroom & there is already a extractor in there....well a vent thing & not the electric extractor. I've been opening the windows so hopefully this will suffice. If I remember correctly the bedroom extractors were put in because of the condensation in the bedrooms.

Lol I coud just picture my Nan using the bathroom in the dark. It's certainly something she would do! :LOL:

hi shade,
just to get this straight! your nan has ventilators in her 3 bedrooms! just plain plaster vents? not mechanical extractor vents!.............and in the bathroom you have a normal wall vent!............when we refer to extractor vents we mean the fan assisted type which is run off electricity :D .
you should still get a mechanical extractor fitted to the bathroom.

can you post a picture of the windows?.

The ones in the bedrooms are electrical extractors & not plaster vents & yes there fan assisted extractors. The bathroom has a normal wall vent. :D

I've tried taking the picture but it's hopeless with my phone unfortunately. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back