No BT master socket...just an extension socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The BT line in my property terminates into what is obviously a secondary extension socket, rather than a master socket. Probably been DIY'd on at some point. Phone lines work fine, broadband works fine. As such, I'm not sure whether to worry about it too much but 1) is it likely to be missing safety elements (i.e. surge protection) and 2) would I notice any improvement in broadband speeds if I replaced it with a proper master socket with built in filters?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The BT line in my property terminates into what is obviously a secondary extension socket, rather than a master socket.
Are you positive it's an extension socket? old style (pre NTE5) master sockets looked just the same as extension sockets from the front, the only way to tell the difference is to look at the back.

1) is it likely to be missing safety elements (i.e. surge protection)
If it is an extension socket then yes.

2) would I notice any improvement in broadband speeds if I replaced it with a proper master socket with built in filters?
Thanks
It really depends on your wiring layout. Ideally you want.

1: the unfiltered wiring should have no branches and the DSL modem should be at the end of it.
2: the unfiltered wiring should be done in suitable twisted pair cable. Opinions differ on whether cat5 or CW1306 is better but either is far better than cheap untwisted cable.
3: no ringer wires should be connected in unfiltered wiring
4: phones should be connected via a single filter. Wiring after the filter may include a ringer wire to support older phones and may branch as needed to support multiple extensions.

A NTE5 style master socket with a filtered faceplate fitted can help you achive the above while maintaining neat wiring.

The NTE5a socket's primary purpose is demarcation - to allow BT to say this is ours and that is yours.

The surge arrestor was present in the old NTE's, and has been taken out in the latest design - it never stopped lightning damage anyway.

If what you have works, then I'd be inclined to leave it as is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back