No building certificate on rsj between kitchen and dining room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This was done about 25 years ago, just been flagged up by mortgage company what are my options, the rsj is a200x 100 spanning 3000mm

Sponsored Links
You can apply for retrospective approval (Regularisation Certificate) with the local authority building control, private inspectors cannot do this, however you will need to satisfy them it complies with the regs applicable at the time the work was carried out, this will involve exposing the work/carrying out any necessary remedial work, they may also ask for structural calculations although I personally wouldn't based on your info providing it is a uniformly distributed load.

You could tell your mortgage company to do one and use some common sense.
25 years LOL. WTF?

Limitation Act 1980

You could tell your mortgage company to do one and use some common sense.
As if that'll make any difference! I had an enquiry to do a completion inspection for an extension built in 1972 about 4 years ago, due to boundary changes it wasn't even in the same local authority at the time the work was carried out!

Sponsored Links
Incredible: who would even remember the Building Regs as they were in 1972? - the world is a completely diferent place now!

(IIRC the cut-off point for retrospectives is 1986?).

Incredible: who would even remember the Building Regs as they were in 1972? - the world is a completely diferent place now!
I never worked with the Building Regs 72, however I did work with the 76 regs which were very similar, essentially they were just updated to metric units with the omission of the regs for ashpits if I remember correctly
(IIRC the cut-off point for retrospectives is 1986?).
Nov 11 1986 when the 85 regs were introduced, although the one I referred to had an application already submitted.

Thanks for the input will probably contact building control and go from there. Long time ago no signs of any problem, could do without the stress.

Thanks for the input will probably contact building control and go from there. Long time ago no signs of any problem, could do without the stress.
If you contact them, they will refuse to get involved because the work was done before 1986. Get them to confirm in writing that they won't consider it and send that to the mortgage co.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back