No Building Control?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am in the early stages of getting a single storey extension built. I am digging the foundations myself and getting a builder to do the blockwork etc.

I was under the impression that the BCO would want to see the site at various stages of the build. However, I have just spoken to the local office and they have said that as long as we have a building warrant and planning permission they would only need to see it when done to issue a completion certificate.

Is this normal/right?

Cheers, J

Sponsored Links
I never heard of that before,
normally the DS or BI are very concerned with drains and other below ground works, DPC's etc, as presumably sometime you will sell and any extensions do need to be certificated.
Generally the DS (BI) will not comment on the appearance of the work unless it is going to compromise structural integrity, (no wall ties etc.)
They do get quite excited about roofs these days too, no idea why, except that a few have blown off now and again.
The only thing they do not concern themselves with is where the building is non hab and sperate from the house, eg. shed garage etc.
I should check again if I was you as if it turns out you should have had staged checks it could get very difficult and expensive, at least get it in writing.

He's north of the border, Chess, they do things differently up there.

Currently building an extension north of the border, here is the list that came with my warrant,

Inspection of excavation for foundations.
Inspection of DPC and solumn levels.
Inspections of superstructure and external and internal claddings.
Final inspection.

and of course the drains.

Sponsored Links
To be honest iv'e not heard of that either, im also building a single storey extension to the back of my house, i have just dug the footings down to a depth of 1mtr and the BCO came to inspect yesterday, he then went onto say he needs to come out again before the floor slab is laid to check insulation etc.

See, shy,
Stan says they are civilised oop north.
'n don't forget i'm a Hullygully myself, (lapsed)
ere, I'll prove it, with the Yorkshiremans prayer,
See all hear all say nowt,
Eat all drink all pay nowt,
And if theys iver does owt fer nowt,
div it fer the sen.

Hello,

they have said that as long as we have a building warrant and planning permission they would only need to see it when done to issue a completion certificate.

Is this normal/right?

Cheers, J

i cannot see the point in even going through the application process if important or relevant stages are not inspected.

sounds dodgy to me, or a misunderstanding.

Thanks for your help guys. I called the BCO again today and have left a message asking for the person who signed the warrant to call me. At least if I speak to him I'll know it's the right person. I'll also ask for it in writing.

Cheers, J

I see you're in Fife. I'm in Fife too (Dunfermline) and I've recently had a small single-storey extension built. Finished 8 weeks ago and the builder couldn't get BC to come out for love nor money. BC told him to take photographs of the excavations, footings and drain work and just continue with the build. They still havent been out to pass it. Lazy shower of a$$holes too busy collecting their brown envelopes from all of the big firms in the Eastern expansion IMHO!!!

Hi Robert,

We're just outside Cowdenbeath. Dunfermline is the BCO we have been using. I spoke to the guy who signed the warrant and he has also said to just let them know when it's finished. I couldn't believe it so had to get it confirmed several times.

I'm glad I'm doing the work myself as any unknown builder could get away with anything.

I was chatting to my neighbour who had some work done a couple of years ago. He had his warrant 'PP' signed by the 'girl in the office'. :eek:.

Cheers, J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back