No central heating, but hot water is OK

hat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Central Heating suddenly stopped working. However, the hot water is fine.

When I turn the Hot Water ON through the Programmer / Timer (say constant), the boiler immediately fires.

However, when I do the same for Central Heating, it doesn’t fire the Boiler (the Pilot is ON).

I have replaced the Programmer / Timer, but it doesn’t help.

Can the problem be with the Room Thermostat (it makes the clicking sound though, when turned) or is it the Boiler ?

Sponsored Links
We need to know more about your system. Motorised valves?

I think so. There is a 3 way valve near the hot water storage tank housing.
But the boiler doesn't even fire. It's a Glowwarm one.

Sponsored Links
I think your syncron motor in the valve has gone ( easy fixed) or te swiching in the valve has gone (new valve).

If your the Hat of Sislden fame ill pop down and sort it for you!!

I'm down South (far from Yorkshire) !
The Motor (Grundfos) is less than a year old, so it could be the Valve.
But shouldn't the Boiler fire (burner at full blow) and then overheat or make noise, etc ? The boiler doesn't fire at all. However, it works fine for Hot Water.

Its the motor in your valve...........its not winding the valve over and making the swtiches on the Central Heating side. What make of Valve is it you have?

I am not sure. Have to check. It's a silver coloured one.
So you mean it's not the main motor (the big Grundfos one), but the actual Valve (where is the second motor) ?

If ist silver is likley to be a honeywell one. it contains a moteor called a syncron motor. Its that that is suspect. Its an easy job but a bit of a faff if you dont know what your doing.

I'm OK about Electrical connections, but if it involves plumbing as well (and turning off things), should I get someone to do it for me. What do you say ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back