No cold water downstairs after turning on stopcock in house - Just completed on this house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I’ve recently completed on a house, and currently have no cold water coming out of the mixer tap downstairs. The stopcock was shut so I've opened it and the boiler and hot water are functioning properly, and we have cold water upstairs in the bathroom.

7D961A8F-24A9-4DBB-9C99-643177FDE042.jpg

I've checked the separate valve on the mixer tap in the image trying both the on and off positions, but it hasn't resolved the problem. I'm completely puzzled as to why there's no cold water downstairs.

4115799E-8B50-4E2F-B727-0791E4C48655.jpg
5F698F87-F5A4-4402-B313-B56363D334C5.jpg
1E7C331D-0AD5-4018-A5D3-205D68A461FF.jpg

Also to describe the images it looks like the grey piping leads outside to the cold water tap, then the other grey piping that is in the bucket (washing machine I'd assume) is connected to something we can't see but when running the tap seems to be coming out with water (lukewarm).

If anyone has experienced a similar issue or has any suggestions on what might be causing this that would be great.

Sponsored Links
Is the water upstairs from a loft tank ,do you have a hot water cylinder ?

Take off the aerator on the end of the mixer tap and run hot and cold.

Sponsored Links
Is the service valve also off in the street?
Honestly, not sure. Surely it would have been odd for the previous owners to turn it off? If so I don't have anything to lift the inspection chamber up. There's one in the garden, so i'd imagine it'd be there.

Is the water upstairs from a loft tank ,do you have a hot water cylinder ?
I don't have a ladder to get up to the loft at the moment, but from the upstairs taps working fine, I'd say maybe that'd be the case. And no, the hot water is run from the combi-boiler

If you have a combi boiler that is giving hot water,then there must be mains cold water coming into the property.
Are you sure the boiler is a combi ,what make and model is it ?
If indeed you do have a combi ,then there must be a second stopcock or isolation valve somewhere that is closed off.

If you have a combi boiler that is giving hot water,then there must be mains cold water coming into the property.
Are you sure the boiler is a combi ,what make and model is it ?
If indeed you do have a combi ,then there must be a second stopcock or isolation valve somewhere that is closed off.
So it’s a Potterton Assure Combi. The only other thing I can see is the blue valve and piping under the boiler which seems to match the instructions

Attachments

• IMG_8527.jpeg
    IMG_8527.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 39
Ok, you have a combi and it's obviously getting mains cold water supplied to it, as you get hot water. You mentioned there is an outside tap ,on the other side of the wall in your pic ,does water flow from it ?
Any isolation valve/ stopcock that supplies the kitchen tap is more likely to be nearer to it ,rather than around the boiler.

Ok, you have a combi and it's obviously getting mains cold water supplied to it, as you get hot water. You mentioned there is an outside tap ,on the other side of the wall in your pic ,does water flow from it ?
Any isolation valve/ stopcock that supplies the kitchen tap is more likely to be nearer to it ,rather than around the boiler.
It doesn’t. There’s an inspection chamber in the garden close to the kitchen doors that I don’t have the means to lift, could the water have been turned off there?

Also don’t know if it helps but when I run the mixer tap not on it’s complete coldest, water starts coming out into the bucket. But as the picture shows I can’t see where that plastic piping is connected too, but I would have thought that should just be cold water coming out.

Is there a plinth below the cabinet that holds the sink ,that you could remove to check behind. It's odd that you can't see or access the washing machines hoses connection to the supply pipework ,and would suggest to me that the previous owner has isolated the cold supply to enable their machine to be removed.
I obviously don't know the layout in your property but I am convinced their is an internal isolation valve ,and probably close to the sink.

Trace the copper piping in both directions, it sounds like there’s a valve inside that’s closed.

Managed to pop the plinth off

IMG_8534.jpeg

No joy of anything underneath. And it’s odd to me then that it would be behind the back of the cupboard (where you can’t access) as surely he would have had to cut more out to be able to isolate if there is another isolation valve.

It seems that the only access is the hole in the back of the cabinet in your original pic of under the sink.
Can you get your camera in there to take picks ,left,right,up an down ?

Are you able to contact previous owner?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back