No cold water downstairs after turning on stopcock in house - Just completed on this house

It doesn’t. There’s an inspection chamber in the garden close to the kitchen doors that I don’t have the means to lift, could the water have been turned off there?
Is the chamber a round plastic lid type around 400mm diameter? if so, that's for your drains, there won't be another stop top in it.

You must have an isolator somewhere internally.

In an earlier post did you say the grey washing machine pipe goes outside or did I misread?

Sponsored Links
What is in the cupboard to the left of the under sink cupboard? Will the back panel pop out?

Sponsored Links
Is the chamber a round plastic lid type around 400mm diameter? if so, that's for your drains, there won't be another stop top in it.

You must have an isolator somewhere internally.

In an earlier post did you say the grey washing machine pipe goes outside or did I misread?

So this pipe, connects to the tap outside from what I can see

1689493754651.png

This pipe, is the washing machine connector but I can't see where this is connected too, but water is coming out of it when running the mixer tap not on it's coldest (so some warm is mixed in)

1689493845819.jpeg

It seems that the only access is the hole in the back of the cabinet in your original pic of under the sink.
Can you get your camera in there to take picks ,left,right,up a down ?
Cheers for all the help, I’ve managed to get it somewhat through.

Right

IMG_8544.jpeg

Left

IMG_8549.jpeg

So doesn’t look like anything left but the right side is the interesting one. Looks like the washing machine is the lower connection. Then there’s a valve on the top?

But not a clue how they would have turned that off and I can’t access it without chopping into the side

Last edited:
What is in the cupboard to the left of the under sink cupboard? Will the back panel pop out?
To the left is the dishwasher connection. I have had this in the off and on position too to test. The valve doesn’t seem that secure also.

IMG_8555.jpeg
IMG_8556.jpeg

Update - Had a response from the estate agent and the person who gave us the keys failed to communicate they’d turned off this bottom valve by the stopcock.

IMG_8565.jpeg

Thanks for all the troubleshooting though.

The lack of access to the washing machine connection is something I should rectify

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Update - Had a response from the estate agent and the person who gave us the keys failed to communicate they’d turned off this bottom valve by the stopcock.

View attachment 308401

Thanks for all the troubleshooting though.

The lack of access to the washing machine connection is something I should rectify
Yes ,it is ,needs sorting. Crazy set up you have ,glad your sorted.
Your kitchen mixer tap appears to allow cross flow between hot and cold ,as hot water flows out into the cold pipe for appliance hose, which is not good.

Yes ,it is ,needs sorting. Crazy set up you have ,glad your sorted.
Your kitchen mixer tap appears to allow cross flow between hot and cold ,as hot water flows out into the cold pipe for appliance hose, which is not good.
Do you think it’d be wise to get somebody out to sort the whole system out before we start moving white goods in?

As an additional note, one of the legs of the unit you took a photo of needs rectifying or the whole cabinet can fall into that corner.
Just pull it straight & readjust the height.

As an additional note, one of the legs of the unit you took a photo of needs rectifying or the whole cabinet can fall into that corner.
Just pull it straight & readjust the height.
Cheers mate, yeah I sorted that last night, both the front legs were not positioned right at all

You need a non return valve fitted on the cold feed to your tap ,and a piece of the cabinet cut out to give access to the washing machine valve. Both simple jobs to do if you have a bit of DIY skill and a few tools.
Unless that washing machines isolation valve is turned off I expect the hose flowed out water when you turned on the isolator that you discovered.

You need a non return valve fitted on the cold feed to your tap ,and a piece of the cabinet cut out to give access to the washing machine valve. Both simple jobs to do if you have a bit of DIY skill and a few tools.
Unless that washing machines isolation valve is turned off I expect the hose flowed out water when you turned on the isolator that you discovered.

The non return valve on the cold feed, is that under the sink where the current valve is?

And you’re spot on, I thought it would and it did spurt water out so looks like the isolation valve is on

Yes ,you fit a non return valve on the pipe that goes to the cold tap of the sink,before the existing isolation valve would be simple to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back