no continuity on live?

How would you know there was a fault on the socket circuit if it were a ring?
My understanding of the OP's scenario is that he has the two ring cables in his hand at the CU (not connected to the CU) and while there is continuity between the ends of the CPCs and the neutral wires, there is no continuity between the ends of the phase wires. IE there is a break in the ring, somewhere.
Think that was a reply to my post rather than the OP
I got mixed up more with a fault on an older install.
Whereas it seems to be like you say, although i would not class ,that as a fault, more a f*** up, no offence to the OP :)

Sponsored Links
Now that is how it came across to me as well.

If it was me I would.....

1. do an R1 + R2

2. Check ALL the connections on the ring first!

3. Then Martindale around the ring

4, "break" the ring into 2 radials and Martindale again

This would narrow the problem down to half the number of sockets.

5. Then follow the ring round socket to socket checking continuity between phase and earth, HOPEFULLY narrowing down the problem.

This is probably a really crap way of doing it and would take ages, the more experienced boys will have better ideas I am sure.

But like you I'm still just a college boy and can only apply my limited experiences to the problem

A common problem after a few years or so is the odd loose screw in a socket. Lots of warmth on load but more of a pain to find when it's one of umpteen in a bedroom circuit that aren't used much. Continuity checks usually pass OK.

just interested in your methods if say i had continuity on neutral and earth but not live??

just a case of checking all sockets for loose connection? what about no continuity at all? were would you start??

cheers fellas
any help appreciated ;)
1878 Help please
Are we talking brand new and NEVER been connected wiring.
OR
Wiring that has been powered up for some time, but has now ,shown up as open circuit for some reason ,or shown up by testing due to whatever reason.

As you can see the advice varies, whether the circuit is live already or awaiting initial connection
Whatever method Safe working and isolation as required is most important

Sponsored Links
sorry boys...i meant an old circuit that had been in use for years!!!

say for instance a periodic inspection and you found no continuity for example on your phases!!!

like reading about all your methods please keep them coming if anyone has anymore

one more question...if for example we have continuity between all cores say

L 2.14

N 0.62

E 0.98

obv that shows a high continutity between phases

how would we go about sussing out where the high reading was?

ta fellas...helping me understand alot!! ;)

Sometimes the same as a fault break it down into half and keep testing, half again and retest, eventually you find the suspect section,then concentrate on that,

With the circuit disconnected
I have a set of 150mm leads with croc clips I would start in the middle remove the socket, link out all three cores of one leg with the clips and give a good ZAP from the other end at 500v with the megger, and check it is stable, between all three combinations of the cores
I find a needle meter better for this as you can see it flicker if the cable or connection is breaking down, if you then take a continuity reading as well L to E should be same as N to E if a perfect circuit, a digital meter is now better for this.
Make sure nothing plugged in first though, then remove links and megger again this time it should be clear in between.
Repeat with the other leg.
Eventually you get there

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back