No cross bonding or earthing in bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently underatking a bathroom refurb which involves removing old electric walk-in shower and fitting new bath, shower and two basins.

So far I have only seen some cross bonding to the old sink taps. The radiator has nothing.

I have had a new boiler and tank fitted in the loft now and will be running new pipes to the Hot and Cold from the loft to feed the shower/bath/basins all in copper pipe.

It is satisfactory to solder crossbonding to all the pipework that will be located in a stud wall thus linking all the pipes in the bathroom?

Do I need to run a final 6mm earth from here to the CU?

Sponsored Links
Cross bonding = supplementary bonding and should be between the earths of any electrical items in the room and the pipes. So cable from lighting circuit to pipes and cable from mirror light to pipes and maybe (if you have one), shaver socket to pipes.

Supplementary bonding sort of died with the 17th ed, if you have RCD / RCBO control on the bathroom circuit.

The main water feed in as well as the gas need a 10mm earth bond between the MET (house- main earthing terminal) and the stop cock / gas meter. The earth should be less than 600mm away from the cock / meter.

Sponsored Links
Cross bonding = supplementary bonding and should be between the earths of any electrical items in the room and the pipes. So cable from lighting circuit to pipes and cable from mirror light to pipes and maybe (if you have one), shaver socket to pipes.
I plan to fit two mirrors with integral lights and shaver sockets and increase the ceiling lighting

Supplementary bonding sort of died with the 17th ed, if you have RCD / RCBO control on the bathroom circuit.
The CU is a modern type with RCD protection on all sockets circuits (not lighting circuits though)

The main water feed in as well as the gas need a 10mm earth bond between the MET (house- main earthing terminal) and the stop cock / gas meter
One installed when they fitted a new rising main for the new boiler.

So as the lighting doesn't have RCB protection I'll cross-bond and that's it?

I plan to fit two mirrors with integral lights and shaver sockets and increase the ceiling lighting

The mirrors and other lighting will require RCD protection, which quite possibly means supplementary bonding is not required.

The CU is a modern type with RCD protection on all sockets circuits (not lighting circuits though)

The main water feed in as well as the gas need a 10mm earth bond between the MET (house- main earthing terminal) and the stop cock / gas meter
One installed when they fitted a new rising main for the new boiler.

All work that you do must comply with BS7671(2008)
All of this work is notifiable

I hope you are conversant with both - if so you will know that all circuits (including lighting) in a bathroom now must be RCD protected.
You will therefore not require supplementary bonding.

End of.

I have been listening to some reports on new editions to 17th Edition with new section for hospitals. And the problem was voiced as to earth or not earth. The main problem with any home is although the earth may be sound today tomorrow some lump of plastic could mean it no longer exists so unless one can ensure ALL items are earthed on a risk assessment it may be better to only earth the incoming. However in hospitals where much tighter controls are in place then we can be reasonable sure a lump of plastic will not arrive so on a risk assessment earthing all items would be a lower risk.

Also in hospitals an RCD in the supply could present more danger to life then leaving out RCD protection.

There is nothing that says you must not cross bond. And if not sure then bond. Yes under 17th Edition as it stands today much of the cross bonding is not required. But two points.

One whole of installation needs to be to 17th Edition.

In 6 months time it may change.

So I would still cross bond unless it was very hard to do and on a referb it is not likely to be hard.

One whole of installation needs to be to 17th Edition.

Lets stay with bathrooms.

The whole of the installations does NOT have to comply with 17th edition. The position is that supp bonding in bathrooms is not required providing:
- All circuits in the bathroom are RCD protected (for most that will be just the lighting circuit.
-All circuits meet their disconnect requirements
-All extraneous conductover parts are effectively earthed

In 6 months time it may change.

Eh, what, where, how?
Do you also have the Euromillions results for tonight?

The earth should be less than 600mm away from the cock / meter.

Shouldn't that read 'no more than' and 'from the point of entry and before any joints/tees' or words to that effect?

Mat- Come on, you knew what was meant and are you not being a tad picky ?

I know, I know, I must have been in a rather pedantic mood at the time.
Mat- Come on, you knew what was meant and are you not being a tad picky ?

Many years ago I installed one 650mm away from the meter, I love living on the edge.

You crazy mother.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back