No drainage, what now?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning,

I have done patios before in previous homes of mine which have turned out really well, however I have stumbled across an issue.

My current home has bad clay and terrible drainage. There is no where for the rain to 'fall away' as its a built up area. I was going to install a linear drainage to the sewer mains but we have non that I can find in the back garden!!!

It a weird property in that all our gutter flows connect to next doors and go down the side of their house into a joint flow away???

From what I can see the rest of the sewer flow is at the front of the house.....

What can I do in this instance? Where I have dug the patio ready to be laid its retaining about 3" of rain water when we have a couple of wet days..... I'm paranoid this is going to happen if I just lay the slabs and water sit on top of them causing all kinds of headaches.

I did look at next door and they have no drainage whatsoever, just plain slabs laid with a very similar layout to mine.

Can I build a sump pit say 4ft x 4ft and back fill it under the linear drainage?

I'm stumped what to do.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
It's hard to give any suggestions without a few photo's, a rough sketch or at least a description of the area in question.

I have managed to draw (badly) the layout of my garden.

As you can see from the diagram in my pictures, the patio would be directly outside my conservatory doors.

To the left and right are the neighbours.

My guttering runs onto next doors flowaway....

Can't see any way that a drain can be connected to sewerage and the end of the patio is only about 3m from the house so don't think I could do a soakaway.

Should also add that the border around the patio will be a wooden retaining wall upto a hight of 1.2m so it's level with the grass top area.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back