Adding drainage to existing patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having ripped up the deck installed by the previous owners of my house I now have a reasonable block paved patio underneath. However, when we get a lot of heavy rain (last night was torrential!) it takes time to disperse and ends up pooling up against the house which is bad

I would like to take out the row of blocks that runs parallel along the house wall and put in a drainage channel in to divert any water into the gulley. Is there anything out there that would fit in the width and height of a block sized channel? All the linear drainage channels I have seen look quite deep and I am not entirely sure what is underneath the patio and how easy it would be to get a deep channel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Depending on the topography you could use a 12vac pump with water level switch to pipe the water elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hmm, not sure I understand the pumping method :D

I have an old rainwater gulley on the wall where the water pools that used to have a drainpipe from the gutters in it. I just want to drain the patio into that.

Having a look around I cannot find any drainage channels that are 100mm wide to fit in the space of one block - is there such a thing? If not I might have to take out the next row (bit more of a pain due to all the half cut blocks in the pattern!) to put in something a little wider and fill the gap between the channel and the house with gravel?

Is it possible to create a makeshift channel by lining a 1 block wide channel with plastic and filling with large gravel? Would that be a very bad idea?? :D

Sponsored Links