Adding drainage to existing patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having ripped up the deck installed by the previous owners of my house I now have a reasonable block paved patio underneath. However, when we get a lot of heavy rain (last night was torrential!) it takes time to disperse and ends up pooling up against the house which is bad

I would like to take out the row of blocks that runs parallel along the house wall and put in a drainage channel in to divert any water into the gulley. Is there anything out there that would fit in the width and height of a block sized channel? All the linear drainage channels I have seen look quite deep and I am not entirely sure what is underneath the patio and how easy it would be to get a deep channel?

Sponsored Links
Depending on the topography you could use a 12vac pump with water level switch to pipe the water elsewhere.

hmm, not sure I understand the pumping method :D

I have an old rainwater gulley on the wall where the water pools that used to have a drainpipe from the gutters in it. I just want to drain the patio into that.

Having a look around I cannot find any drainage channels that are 100mm wide to fit in the space of one block - is there such a thing? If not I might have to take out the next row (bit more of a pain due to all the half cut blocks in the pattern!) to put in something a little wider and fill the gap between the channel and the house with gravel?

Is it possible to create a makeshift channel by lining a 1 block wide channel with plastic and filling with large gravel? Would that be a very bad idea?? :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back