No earth in cable?

Also a 3A BS 1362 fuse would provide absolutely no protection to the device. It is for protection of the cable. If internal fusing was required, it certainly wouldn't be a BS 1362 fuse!

So fitting one was only about complying with manufacturers' instructions - it was never, and could never, have been about providing protection for the current using equipment!

Sponsored Links
I think winston meant would, not should. :)
But it wouldn't necessarily. It is likely that it might be protected by a 10A device, and not inconceivable (but certainly exceedingly unlikely in a domestic premises) that a 16A device would be used as this is permitted for such luminaires as are generally seen.

So you think you know what the manufacturer requires better than the manufacturer of their own product does? Perhaps they have designed the product to be protected by a fuse and that is why they say you must have one.
So you think they would have designed a product unique to the UK, and either don't sell their lights/fans/whatevers in the rest of Europe because they can't work out how to make ones suitable for there, or that they deliberately increase their costs by designing and making different products for there?

Fair enough.

Also a 3A BS 1362 fuse would provide absolutely no protection to the device. It is for protection of the cable. If internal fusing was required, it certainly wouldn't be a BS 1362 fuse!
So what? The type of fuse used for internal protection is irrelevant.
So fitting one was only about complying with manufacturers' instructions - it was never, and could never, have been about providing protection for the current using equipment!
Why not? If protection of the equipment was deemed to require an xA fuse, why could that "never" have been provided by a BS1362 fuse in an FCU?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Why not? If protection of the equipment was deemed to require an xA fuse, why could that "never" have been provided by a BS1362 fuse in an FCU?

Kind Regards, John
Because the characteristics of a BS 1362 fuse intended for a plugtop (and yes, I have no problem referring to a plug as a plugtop, as many in the industry do) will not provide protection for the internals of the appliance.

and yes, I have no problem referring to a plug as a plugtop, as many in the industry do) will not provide protection for the internals of the appliance.
Then why do you not think logically and realise the folly of it and help stamp out such stupidity.

Kind Regards, John
Because the characteristics of a BS 1362 fuse intended for a plugtop (and yes, I have no problem referring to a plug as a plugtop, as many in the industry do) will not provide protection for the internals of the appliance.
How do you know what the internals of the appliance will withstand?

How do you know that? If the manufactures deem an xA BS1362 fuse to be adequate to protect the internals of their product, how can you know that they are not right?

If you don't believe that this is the reason why manufacturers specify maximum BS1362 fuse sizes, what on earth do you think is their reason?

Kind Regards, John

I doubt that manufacturers who do state that a (3A) fuse is required ever say it should be a BS1362.

I doubt that manufacturers who do state that a (3A) fuse is required ever say it should be a BS1362.
Maybe not - but (for fans etc., sometimes even ovens etc.) they do usually talk in terms of an FCU, and I don't know what fuses other than BS1362 ones you could/should fit into an FCU!

Kind Regards, John

Kind Regards, John
There are uneducated people who have a sloppy use of English and call a socket a plug. Then plugtop then becomes what it on top of the so called plug. I take it you approve of sloppy English. Those in the electric industry who do this are clearly uneducated.

and yes, I have no problem referring to a plug as a plugtop, as many in the industry do) will not provide protection for the internals of the appliance.
Then why do you not think logically and realise the folly of it and help stamp out such stupidity.
And also put an end to the utter waste of 3 letters each time.

There are uneducated people who have a sloppy use of English and call a socket a plug. Then plugtop then becomes what it on top of the so called plug. I take it you approve of sloppy English. Those in the electric industry who do this are clearly uneducated.
The French could have a problem as to if called a plug or a socket as live is plug and earth socket but that is not the case with the British system not since 15th Edition an BS 196 where the part connected to lead was both a plug and a socket.

I only remember the 110 volt version of BS 196 where the pins were fuses.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back