No Earth in lights - Double Insulated / Ceramic / Glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi experts
We are moving into a new house soon.
Its old but not that bad - some circuits were done when the house was extended but not all! So, will be getting the consumer unit done and all cicuits tested but we will not be rewiring the lights immediately.

I will be replacing old lights with new roses and old switches with new.

However, 2 questions;

1 - Old switches that are just screwed into the wall - replacing with new plastic switches but I assume I need to buy plastic back boxes as there is no earth in the light circuit.

2 - Light fittings where no earth is present. I assume plastic roses, or plastic fittings. metal ones with double insulated symbol. But what about ceramic fittings such as this http://beta.screwfix.com/p/aura-matt-white-wall-light/64536

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
1 - yes, plastic boxes will be required, which most likely will have to be surface fixed.
2 - provided they have no exposed metal parts and no earth connection, then they can be connected.

However no earth means the wiring is around 50 years old, and tarting up the place with new switches and lights is a waste of money.

The wall boxes may have nylon lugs that the plate screws screw into. It would be best to have the lighting rewired before you move in to much and before you decorate anything, it shouldn't take too long although if the lighting is that old perhaps your socket circuits will need some attention too. I would advise on having a PIR carried out so you can know what you are letting yourself in for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back