No engineered floor

M74

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Having a new engineered wood floor fitted. fitter has recommended floating, but the subfloor is creaking in places. its a new build and the subfloor is also floating on kingspan , look like they are large sheets of mdf type material and look glued together. He thinks the floor will hide the squeaks once fitted, but does it need sorting first and if so how. I'm only familiar with joists and would screw down some more, but he can't screw into kingspan.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I had nothing but problems in a previous house. The ground floor was a floating design over kingspan. The house had laminate and freaked badly, we changed the laminate to carpet in the lounge and that made it slightly worse.

I would definitely try to fix it before laying floor over the top. As there will be no joist to screw to I would suggest checking YouTube. There is a recommendation to use a watery PVA solution and brush it into the joints and let it run in to the grooves.
This may well help you for not a lot of money. Otherwise it is lifting the floor and reboarding or gluing I believe

why not lift a panel of kingspan, and a sheet of MDF, and then post pics?

what do you mean by a glued MDF subfloor? whats below the MDF?
are your floors solid or suspended or block and beam?

the cause of the creaking has to be located - it will not simply go away with a new floating floor that might actually make the creaking worse.

only a suggestion but do not go pouring a Pva solution into anything.

The floor is and I quote from the builder:
“it’s sat on 100 mm kingspan then beam and block”
The builder says the only way to sort is to lift the floating floor and start again and re -glue. The flooring guy thinks the engineered floor will add strength and stop the squeaks

Sponsored Links
do you actually have a wood floor already laid?
is the Kingspan securely taped at all joins?

laying a floating floor directly over the Kingspan is not what i would do - i would first lay a sand and cement screed over the insulation, and then lay the floating floor on that.
but now you would have the possible difficulties of perhaps using wire mesh in the screed to hold it together, and raising the height of the FFL?

The floor needs sorting before fitting the Engineered, the engineered won't hide the creaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back