Fixing 'squeaking' engineered wood board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a relatively newly installed engineered wood floor. One of the boards is squeaking. It is a floating glued T&G floor on 8mm ply on wooden joists. Is it possible to fix this or at least make it less noisy? Getting the builder back who installed it is not an option.

Sponsored Links
Yes. There are "laminate flooring squeak repair kits" on the market where you drill a couple or three small diameter holes in the vicinity of the squeaky joint and inject the supplied (polyurethane) glue ?the glue can also be bought, like this or this)

Once the glue has cured the holes can be filled using a matchine coloured wax pellet (wax from firms such as Liberon, Hafele and Konig). This is a get you out of a hole fix sometimes employed on new builds where lifting the floor (laminate or engineered) is simply not feasible. Try Amazon for one of the kits

Last edited by a moderator:
Edited previous post to include links to the sorts of glue I was referring to

Sponsored Links
i take it you mean 18mm ply[structural] as opposed to 8mm[9]?? trampoline on the joists??
Yes. I took the OP to mean 18mm (3/4in nominal), partly because you rarely ever see 8mm (5/16in nominal) ply - normally goes up in 1/8in increments maybe less a bit for sanding i.e. 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1in. 8mm su floor would indeed be a trampoline and squeaking all over!

Yes. I took the OP to mean 18mm (3/4in nominal), partly because you rarely ever see 8mm (5/16in nominal) ply - normally goes up in 1/8in increments maybe less a bit for sanding i.e. 1/8, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 1in. 8mm su floor would indeed be a trampoline and squeaking all over!
yes i gave it lots off though and after much disagreeing with my self decided that no one would ever decide that 8/9mm was the correct thickness ------until they misunderstand the mechanics:unsure:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back