No Fensa Certificate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had two UPVC doors with D/G units fitted.

The installer did not give me a Fensa certificate, he is now not traceable !!
Do I need one of these if I sell my house ?

Can I get a certificate elsewhere ?

Sponsored Links
I had two UPVC doors with D/G units fitted.

The installer did not give me a Fensa certificate, he is now not traceable !!
Do I need one of these if I sell my house ?

Can I get a certificate elsewhere ?
You can apply to the local authority building control for retrospective approval (Regularisation Certificate).

They're not worth the paper they're written on.
It flags up when you sell the house, but nobody cares.
I fitted my own windows and front door, where do I get a fensa certificate???
Like anything else this is just more useless paperwork.
You will know if windows and doors are fitted badly, trust me.
And a fensa certificate will not guarantee a good fit, to the opposite, usually we see here lots of people complaining about singing and dancing companies offering lots of paperwork and very poor workmanship.
I even come across a company charging £300+ for a chimney sweep, but they give you a certificate...
What the hell am I gonna do with a certificate? Start the fire???
My local sweeper charges £30 and leaves everything clean, been doing it since he was young but doesn't do paperwork, unless you want a receipt (handwritten)

The main reason for FENSA self cert scheme is to cover the B Reg (Part L thermal insulation) aspects of the installation, the workmanship can be ****e but as long as its double glazed, draught sealed etc it complies with B Regs.

Sponsored Links
They're not worth the paper they're written on.
It flags up when you sell the house, but nobody cares.
I fitted my own windows and front door, where do I get a fensa certificate???
Like anything else this is just more useless paperwork.
You will know if windows and doors are fitted badly, trust me.
And a fensa certificate will not guarantee a good fit, to the opposite, usually we see here lots of people complaining about singing and dancing companies offering lots of paperwork and very poor workmanship.
I even come across a company charging £300+ for a chimney sweep, but they give you a certificate...
What the hell am I gonna do with a certificate? Start the fire???
My local sweeper charges £30 and leaves everything clean, been doing it since he was young but doesn't do paperwork, unless you want a receipt (handwritten)

Well that's a load of cobblers. I would insist on seeing a FENSA cert if the windows and doors in my next property warranted one and if there wasn't when there should have been it would trigger a re-negotiation of price or me walking away. They may not be "worth the paper they are written on" but us, potential, house buyers know that in this day and age, rightly or wrongly, double glazing should have a certificate and if it isn't there then, potentially, a cowboy
may have been at work.

Well that's a load of cobblers. I would insist on seeing a FENSA cert if the windows and doors in my next property warranted one and if there wasn't when there should have been it would trigger a re-negotiation of price or me walking away. They may not be "worth the paper they are written on" but us, potential, house buyers know that in this day and age, rightly or wrongly, double glazing should have a certificate and if it isn't there then, potentially, a cowboy
may have been at work.
It does not cover workmanship.

It does not cover workmanship.
As you state it is not to cover workmanship it is a self cert scheme to cover the B regs aspects only. It is an alternative to using a building control body.
B regs do not cover workmanship.

may have been at work.
If you asked me to drop my house price because my perfectly functional double glazed upvc windows don't have a piece of toilet paper to say they're double glazed, I'd tell you to find another property.
And if you like my property you would simply put your head down and pay the correct price, putting it down to "if you don't ask, you don't get".
I don't know anybody so desperate to sell to drop a few grand off the agreed price because of a fensa certificate.
Welcome to reality planet earth.

You can apply to the local authority building control for retrospective approval (Regularisation Certificate).
As these replaced Alloy doors they are like for like so will not contact B/C

Can I purchase a Fence certificate & How Much ??

Nobody cares. When I sold my house recently, the question asked was whether any windows had been fitted since some date in the past. Since this was after we moved in, I just said "don't know" (because I didn't). No body cared.

You apply for a Regularisation Cert at your local authority building control, private inspectors cannot legally do this, fees are set by each local authority.

You don't need a certificate. If it crops up as an issue when you sell your house your conveyancer will arrange indemnity insurance for about £50.

You don't need a certificate. If it crops up as an issue when you sell your house your conveyancer will arrange indemnity insurance for about £50.
Indemnity is a con, it only insures you against any enforcement action from the local authority, in the vast majority of cases they are already past the statutory period for enforcement (2 years), essentially you're insuring against something that already cannot legally happen.
To be honest, I would very much doubt any local authority would ever enforce on this if they were direct replacements, I know for a fact this would never happen at any authorities I've worked.
Another thing worth mentioning, I have issued Ref Certs for these the same day from a phone call in the morning, applicant called in the office paid the fee, I had it registered straight away, pre printed the cert, made it my first site visit early PM, signed it on site and handed it over, he immediately drove down to his solicitors office who had it before 3.00, this was on the weds before the whole chain moved on the Friday.

I am reading this with a little alarm , as the SOLICITOR is supposed to insist on a Fensa/Certass/Building Control certificate . This has been the case since 2002 when it was first introduced , admittedly a lot of solicitors have been slow on the take up.
Those fitting windows under Fensa/Certass are part of a Self certification scheme , proving that they ( supposedly ) know how to conform to modern building regs ( fire egress, Tough Glass etc ), and also that they know how to fit and secure them to the building correctly, it is not for the quality of the windows or the standard of trimming. In theory you should not be able to sell your house without one if your solicitor ( on both Buyer and sellers sides ) are doing their job correctly , but many misunderstand the concept and seem not to bother.
If you chose to fit yourself or by a non Fensa/Certass registered person you can get the local building control to sign it off , but they should be coming out to inspect it , to check that building regs are being followed. There are certain times when Toughened glass is a LEGAL
requirement

Back to the OP though , if the doors were under 50% glazed ( less than 1/2 overall sqmtrage of the door is glass ) , the installation does not require to be registered. ( As a company we do , and most registered installers will , because a requirement of Fensa/Certass now is that you have to provide a 10 Yr Insurance BAcked Warranty with the Install , and ours Insurance warranty is sent out on the basis of our registration of the install with Certass but you may not get a certificate due to the under 50% rule )

In theory you should not be able to sell your house without one if your solicitor ( on both Buyer and sellers sides ) are doing their job correctly , but many misunderstand the concept and seem not to bother.

IMHO and my first hand experience the only people who care about Fensa are window companies themselves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back