No Fensa Certificate

Take Everest Windows ... how many know they went bust in May 2020? Company restarted as Everest 2020...same directors. All those previous ' lifetime ' warranties
...worthless
Perfect example Ron! - Was it Henry Cooper who used to be their adverts in the 90's

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Take Everest Windows ... how many know they went bust in May 2020? Company restarted as Everest 2020...same directors. All those previous ' lifetime ' warranties
I always remember the tv advert in the 80's where Ted Moult was at Tan Hill pub, highest pub in Britain praising the virtues of the recently fitted Everest windows. The head of planning for the authority where Tan Hill was then located nearly choked on his dinner the first time he saw it as it didn't have planning permission. There was a recorded delivery letter in the post before 9am the next morning. His wife just happened to work in the admin section at the authority where I worked she was still laughing about it the next day.

All problems, issues all left for the warranty provider to pick up the pieces, as a side note I bet some of you guys that aren't installers how much these policies cost the installers, obviously it's lumped into the cost of the job but you'll be surprised how little the policy costs and how the warranty provides make it pay

...worthless
These everest people gave me a quote 15 years ago for 9 windows and a front door...
£50k.
I was kicking the salesman out when he said he was going to call his boss to see if he could reduce the price.
I said to do it from his office and let me know.
He went in his car and 5 minutes later the price had gone down to £20k.
My wife who had gone at the door laughed at him and shut the door.
2 minutes later he went down to £15k.
Another laugh.
Then he rang the bell again and I didn't open.
From the window i told him to leave but he said the boss had said they could do it for £7k as a special offer available only for the following 10 minutes.
I simply said: "tell your boss that you wanted to rip me off asking £50k, so I wouldn't trust you to sweep my drive.
Had the windows done by a local company for £3.5k and they still work perfectly.
Even the silicone is still perfect, they used soudal.

Sponsored Links
exactly the same experience , offers going down and down, and then , if we can use your windows as a local reference site - then even cheaper again , this was in late 1990's early 2000's , cant remember the details but it started 4/5 times the final price - I also asked them to leave ( 2 bods) and had a bit of an argument to actually get them out of the house.....to the point, where i was almost at the point of getting my partner to call the police - she had already left the room.

My neighbour in her 80's had the same issue with a kitchen fitting organisation, can't remember the name exactly, but i met them and also had trading standards on their way , they were very interested and sent a guy round to also meet these guys, they didn't turn up.

My daughter has now received the door seals in the post and had them fitted.
Just need to establish cause of water ingress from above the door frame.
Sorry about the dark pic, but it appears that the top of the door frame has been sealed with foam, but water is still getting through.
I must stress that the leak is only noticeable during rain and high winds.
As the door was installed by a FENSA registered installer, would you expect some sort of trim to be fitted over the sealant to keep the wind off and provide a neat finish?

The pic is showing upper door frame (grey), brown foam and the render above.
Cheers All
upload_2021-3-2_13-56-46.png

This clearly demonstrates that being fensa registered means absolutely nothing.
A bodger is a bodger, even if dressed up as the king of wonderland.

This clearly demonstrates that being fensa registered means absolutely nothing.
A bodger is a bodger, even if dressed up as the king of wonderland.

No it just demonstrates that FENSA has absolutely nothing to do with workmanship as has been said before, it's a self certification scheme enabling installers to sign their own work off in terms of regs, this isn't a regs issue so FENSA quite rightly don't want to know, this is workmanship and yes it should really have some sort of trim or cloaking or at least a silicone seal

If you had to describe FENSA in laymans term crank what would you say: Is my understanding right that it is a statement saying that the people doing the installation know the regulations about thermal efficiency of the windows they install. So technically that certificate confirms that the correct glass with the proper thermal efficiency has been installed and that any legislation to do with egress for fire escape has been followed with the installation of specific hinges that allowed for fire escape in locations where this is needed

If you had to describe FENSA in laymans term crank what would you say: Is my understanding right that it is a statement saying that the people doing the installation know the regulations about thermal efficiency of the windows they install. So technically that certificate confirms that the correct glass with the proper thermal efficiency has been installed and that any legislation to do with egress for fire escape has been followed with the installation of specific hinges that allowed for fire escape in locations where this is needed

it just makes it easier for people to register the installation with the council as being good. it's to save the BC officer from an ungodly amount of work having to run around checking everyone's new window installs.

it gives no protection to either the installer or the customer. however Fensa advertise it in a way it sounds like that they are a body of representatives and workmanship, of which they are not. It's the same for a number of theses scams, i means schemes, EICR is another one.

it just makes it easier for people to register the installation with the council as being good. it's to save the BC officer from an ungodly amount of work having to run around checking everyone's new window installs.
it gives no protection to either the installer or the customer. however Fensa advertise it in a way it sounds like that they are a body of representatives and workmanship, of which they are not. It's the same for a number of theses scams, i means schemes, EICR is another one.
There were some similar scheme that became necessary to have when you sold your house if anybody remembers back in the 2000's

B Regs only requires that means of escape are made no worse than previous, there is no legal obligation to improve the means of escape.

I've had three windows made that are waiting to be fitted but I went without trickle vents so does that mean technically my windows need to have trickle vents installed? The windows being replaced didn't have trickle vents if that makes a difference

If the old windows didn't have them then the new ones don't have to have them as you aren't making the ventilation worse, new builds though require

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back