No floor slab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice regarding the photo below (apologies for the poor quality, I dropped my phone...)

View media item 101697
Basically, I have started removing the original tiles and kept digging hoping to find the concrete slab. But there isnt one. Now in terms of moving forward, im going to take the opportunity to lay a new slab, insulation and screed with underfloor heating. But im worried that with there being no slab, if I just keep removing the soil then there will be nothing pushing back against the walls and we could potentially undermine them.

Please could someone offer some advice for the best way to proceed. Thanks!

Also, how common is it for a house to not have a solid floor slab? House was built in 1896.

Sponsored Links
youve got to search an read previous threads on this business, ther are loads of them,lots of them with photos.

you should be ok diggin out tothe level your at now where the brick footin spreads out.
post a photo showing more of the room esp any chimney breast.

before any more work make yourself a section view of the new floor at scale 1/10 or full size on a spread out cardboard box.

You need to excavate about 350mm. The house walls and foundations will be ok.

Houses of that are commonly did not have a concrete floor.

This work requires building regulations application and approval.

Lots of threads here on design details.

youve got to search an read previous threads on this business, ther are loads of them,lots of them with photos.

you should be ok diggin out tothe level your at now where the brick footin spreads out.
post a photo showing more of the room esp any chimney breast.

before any more work make yourself a section view of the new floor at scale 1/10 or full size on a spread out cardboard box.

Thanks, this is the dining room with a fireplace aswell.
View media item 101584

You need to excavate about 350mm. The house walls and foundations will be ok.

Houses of that are commonly did not have a concrete floor.

This work requires building regulations application and approval.

Lots of threads here on design details.

Thanks, I will take a look now.
Building regs application should be going in for the rest of the work so i will include the new floor slab aswell.
I dont suppose anyone could put a budget cost to the new floor slab? So the dining, kitchen and new extension parts in the drawing below.
View media item 101611

Sponsored Links
because if all the front of the house is suspnded floor youl need to supply through ventilation for the front suspended floors.
what condition is the in joists now? if rots found then best to do everything thats needed in one shot.

the fireplace and front hearth will need sorting out,donnt try an match the hearth pull it out and make one continuos pour.
all floor standing fixtures an base units will have to be cleared out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back