No heat from radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're currently getting no heat from our radiators. Issue just started today.

Got a potterton boiler.

Picture of control panel below.

Does the orange light above the flame mean flame failure? If so, why are the red lights indicating the temperature at 30, 40 degrees on?

wat3th.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have you tried resetting the boiler? (Turn the selector switch fully anticlockwise against the spring pressure to the reset position for at least 3 seconds and release)

Have you tried resetting the boiler? (Turn the selector switch fully anticlockwise against the spring pressure to the reset position for at least 3 seconds and release)

Yes that worked!

What could have been wrong with it?

Is it something we should get a plumber out to have a look at?

When was the boiler last serviced? If 'never' or 'two or three years ago', it would definitely be worth getting it checked over.

Sponsored Links

When was the boiler last serviced? If 'never' or 'two or three years ago', it would definitely be worth getting it checked over.

Yeah a couple of years ago.

I reckon what may have triggered this is we seem to have a leak somewhere in our central heating piping system - a small leak but over time the pressure in the boiler seems to drop very slowly - when I checked the boiler when we were getting no heat, the pressure was about 0.2 bars so maybe the boiler just couldn't force the hot water round the system? I increased the pressure in the boiler back to 1.25 bars and reset the boiler which seemed to do the trick.

Either way agree we need to get it serviced.

I guess you've already checked all visible pipework then?

Have you considered a leak sealant?

I guess you've already checked all visible pipework then?

Have you considered a leak sealant?

Yep all pipework checked.

Not considered a leak sealant - how is this administered and how likely is it that it will catch the issue?

Depends on the type of leak as to its effectiveness.

Have you got a combi or a open tank in the loft?

Depends on the type of leak as to its effectiveness.

Have you got a combi or a open tank in the loft?

Boiler is wall mounted flue condensing gas fired system.

Hot water tank (only tank in house) is in a cupboard in one of the upstairs bedrooms; has an electric immersion as well.

Pretty sure its an unvented system.

I believe that you will be applying them directly to your radiators then.

Have a read or fernox and sentinel products for leak sealant. You will be able to make an informed decision :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back