No heat or hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just returned from 2 weeks holiday and even though the boiler looks like it's working OK (Gloworm), there is not heat to any radiotors nor hot water. The pump (Grundfos Selectric) sounds OK too. I did turn off the central heating before going on hols i.e. power supply.

The system is about 15 years old.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I do think you should check that the pump shaft is actually turning before assuming the pump is working!

Tony Glazier

Tony - thanks for the advice. As you can gather, I'm no DIY man. How will I check for the shaft turning?

may be a big screw in end, loosen it and a bit of water may come out. Put a smaller flat driver about 6 mm in it and see if its turning.

If not try to free it by turning back and forth until it runs on its own.

Tony

Sponsored Links
What boiler is it and when you say its working do you mean you can hear the fan or actually see the flames?

Tony - I did this. There's a chrome screw about 1.5 mm which I removed. I popped the end of a screwdriver in there and there was definitely rotary movement. Is there anything else I can check before calling out a central heating engineer?

Len

102.gif
What boiler is it and when you say its working do you mean you can hear the fan or actually see the flames?

CHeck the boiler - did it normally have a permanent pilot flame, and can you see it now? Name and number would help.

It's a Glow worm ECONOMY 60, BALANCED FLUE BOILER. I can see the flame but cannot hear a fan.

Someone mentioned it might be the zone valve that controls the water flow

No there is no fan on this one, in fact there isn't much. If your programmer is calling for heat or water and your pump is running and your pilot light is lit then you need someone to come and check the thermostat and the gas valve

rigger said:
Just returned from 2 weeks holiday and even though the boiler looks like it's working OK (Gloworm), there is not heat to any radiotors nor hot water. The pump (Grundfos Selectric) sounds OK too. I did turn off the central heating before going on hols i.e. power supply.

The system is about 15 years old.

Any advice would be appreciated.

WHAT ZONE VALVE
bear in mind the lads are looking at a screen

Someone mentioned it might be the zone valve that controls the water flow

Unlikely. If you had a single 3 port valve the HW would still come on, and if you have 2 x 2 ports, they wouldn't have both failed at once so you would still have SOMETHING!

Time for a tame corgi to visit I think.

Hi

Starting to get a bit chilly now and the missus is chasing me to get our problem sorted.

All the obvious things look and sound OK e.g. boiler flame OK, pump shaft turning, radiators bled. If there's no hot pipes coming out of the boiler then does this mean the problem is confined to the bolier? Maybe thermostat? Could it be the zone valve (programming unit)?

Len

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back