no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have recently moved to an old property. the heating system was working fine but has suddenly stopped. i have a floor standing thorn m boiler. the clock is still ticking and going round but the boiler is not firing up. i have no manual and the picture diagram on the door has long since been removed. any clues how to get it up and running again?

Sponsored Links
you say no heating so presumably the boiler is still providing hot water? Depends on the type of system you have, could be a motor valve problem or maybe the pump?

Need more detail on what type of system?

thanks for replying. no we have no hot water either. im not sure what you mean by type of system. nothing seems to be happening with the boiler at all apart from the clock ticking.

Is the pilot lit? Is the boiler warm as though its heated up but the waters not going anywhere?

what clock is it?

do you have an airing cupboard HW tank? Is there pump in here?

Sponsored Links
the boiler is stone cold. ive been trying to find where the pilot light is for days and cannot see where it should be. ive had a look in the airing cupboard and there doesnt seem to be a pump but there does seem to be one on the boiler. the clock is on top of the boiler next to the temperature control. its the clock that you use to set the time for the heating/hot water to come on.

Look through the little window at the bottom of the front of the heat exchanger after opening the boiler door. If you can see no flame then the pilot has gone out.

The first thing to check would be the pilot. Obviously inside the boiler and should be veiwable through a small opening/window.

I dont know your exact model boiler so cant be more specific.

Another check would be to feel if the pump is running, it should vibrate slightly, or hold a screwdriver to it and you ear and listen.

This could possibly rule out fault with clock or other controls but without a multi meter its diffiicult to test further.

if the little winsow is at the bottom of the boiler there is no flame. ive just spotted that its a thorn m74. and if the pump is the red thing that isnt vibrating either. i think i need a plumber

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back