No hot water from kitchen mixer tap = last chance saloon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've already read a few previous posts on this topic and I'm starting to think the mixer tap has had it, after only 4 years service.

Just so there's no confusion, I'll list the problem and everything to date I've tried and am hoping there maybe another option than replacing the tap (as it's a swine to access and took a while to fit!)

About a week ago I got intermittent flow from the hot tap, which came and went. Two days ago the hot water stopped all together, with one or two moments of it flowing slowly, then the flow dying away to nothing. It's now not working at all.

The hot water is supplied from a combi boiler about three feet away from the kitchen sink, drawing from the water mains, not a tank. The shower and bathroom hot tap are receiving hot water with no issues, just the mixer tap is at fault.

So far I've:

Tried holding a towel / sponge over the tap, opening the hot tap, then opening the cold tap and holding it for about 15 seconds = slight water spray everywhere and no hot water.

Hooking up a hose pipe with tap connectors from the cold tap in the bathroom, to the mixer tap. Open up the mixer hot tap, flow cold water from the bathroom for about 15 seconds = amazing water spray as the bathroom taps have lever arms that hit the top of tap connectors, so you can't fully shut it off before removing the connector and still not hot water.

Cleaning out the tap doesn't seem to be an option, as it's a Wickes Trade Mono Sink Tap and doesn't appear to come apart. (unless anyone has different experience of that?)

I've checked the metal flexi pipes that connect the tap to the original copper pipes, there are no kinks or pinching at all.

Lastly the water pressure is very good in my local area, since Thames Water upgraded the pipe network, I don't this is a factor at all.

Fingers crossed there is one more thing I haven't tried and don't know about, or is it time to hit the DIY store for a new tap? :confused:

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Is there an isolation point under ther tap on the hot feed?
if there is i would isolate the tap,take off the flexi and crack open the valve to check there isn't a blockage in the pipe.

I would suspect a blockage but I do NOT know how your particular taps come apart.

It may well be the intrnal cartridge inside the tap , that has un-srewed it self & there fore is not lifting when u turn the tap on ?? maybe ?

If so it will need to be removed & remade ?

Sponsored Links
It may well be the intrnal cartridge inside the tap , that has un-srewed it self & there fore is not lifting when u turn the tap on ?? maybe ?

If so it will need to be removed & remade ?

I think this could be the problem. Annoyingly the kitchen water pipes were not fitted with shut off valves, so I'll have to shut off the water to the flat tomorrow and inspect the hot tap cartridge. Just hope the Wickes taps use a fairly standard part if it does need replacing.

I'll have to shut off the water to the flat tomorrow and inspect the hot tap cartridge

Good opportunity to fit some isolation valves. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back